I. Basic Purpose:
Assists professional medical staff personnel in providing clinical and administrative duties for the MediCenters or physician offices. Assists with diagnostic and treatment procedures. Performs all duties under direction of Physician /Registered Nurse.
II. Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Complies with established corporate and departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance methods, and safety codes. Demonstrates compliance with licensing, regulatory and accrediting agency provisions as required.
2. Consistently demonstrates appropriate and professional communication behavior toward patients, customers, and coworkers. Cooperates with Management and peers to promote an environment of teamwork and collaboration.
3. Assist in front office duties to include scheduling appointments, insurance verification and certification, handling of telephone calls, patient registration and check out, chart preparation and other routine office tasks.
4. Assists in the care of patients as directed.
5. Observes proper techniques, including universal precautions in the performance of duties.
6. Inspects patients' records to insure completeness. Checks patients into room obtain and record history, vital signs, temperature, blood pressure, eye and ear irrigation, height, weight, growth curves, as applicable. Prepare and drape patient.
7. Assists physician and/or nursing personnel during treatment or minor surgical procedures, when cleaning wounds, setting splints or applying dressings. Monitors patients for reactions.
8. Promotes wellness, maintenance of health and prevention of illness to patients and their families, under the direction of RN or Physician.
9. Performs patient procedures as directed by Physician, such as bag urine, throat culture, immunizations, injections routes, eye and ear irrigation, laboratory procedures (U/A, strep screen, hemocult) label vials for lab and EKG. Monitors patient for reaction.
10. Prepares patients for radiology procedures, dispose of contaminated supplies, restock supplies, linens, equipment and work area as often as required. Checks for defects, malfunctioning equipment, out-of-date materials, notify manager of same.
11. Calls patients to relay advice or instructions from physician. Performs patient education activities.
12. Attends inservices and/or meetings as required. Enhances professional development through educational programs and/or classes.
13. Maintains annual mandatory education requirements specific to position as mandated by Martin Health System.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
III. Experience, Training, and Education:
To effectively fulfill this position, candidate must meet the following requirements:
* MA - Completion of an approved Medical Assistant Training Program and/or registration/certification Required or be obtained within 6 months of hire; Must test successfully in Customer Service and Medical Terminology, and complete Martin Memorial Orientation/training for clinical positions. Computer experience, courteous, pleasant manner required. MA - Must have clinical /medical experience.
* LPN - Current LPN license in the State of Florida. Minimum of one year medical/surgical experience or one year experience in medical office environment. Ability to communicate with the public in a courteous and professional manner. Flexibility to work various shifts and some holidays. Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
* RN - Current RN license in the State of Florida. Minimum of one year medical/surgical experience or one year experience in medical office environment. Ability to communicate with the public in a courteous and professional manner. Flexibility to work various shifts and some holidays. Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
* Current acceptable CPR certification required: American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Health Care Provider OR American Red Cross CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer OR American Red Cross Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
Minimum of one year medical/surgical experience or one year experience in medical office environment. Computer experience, courteous/pleasant manner required. Flexibility to work various shifts and some holidays. Ability to work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
IV. Physical Requirements: (RN Outpatient)
The essential physical demands of the position require lifting 10 pounds overhead, to shoulder height, and to waist height, carrying supplies and charts up to 20 pounds, and pushing/pulling 45 pounds of force. These activities are required occasionally and comprise up to 33% of the workday. Reaching, handling, grasping, and standing are also essential physical demands. These activities comprise 34 66% of the workday. Walking, squatting, bending, reaching overhead, twisting and sitting are occasionally required (up to 33% of workday). Independent decision-making is required. Mental concentration is very important
to prevent errors or injury. Working with precise limits of accuracy is required. The percentage of the total job that is repetitive is 75%.
The policy of Cleveland Clinic and its system hospitals (Cleveland Clinic) is to provide equal opportunity to all of our employees and applicants for employment in our tobacco free and drug free environment. All offers of employment are followed by testing for controlled substance and nicotine. Job offers will be rescinded for candidates for employment who test positive for nicotine. Candidates for employment who are impacted by Cleveland Clinic's Smoking Policy will be permitted to reapply for open positions after 90 days. Decisions concerning employment, transfers and promotions are made upon the basis of the best qualified candidate without regard to color, race, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran or any other characteristic protected by law. Information provided on this application may be shared with any Cleveland Clinic facility.
Cleveland Clinic is pleased to be an equal employment employer: Women/Minorities/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities