SummaryVice President Perioperative Services
Maine Medical Center
The Vice President of Perioperative Services (VPPS) is a nurse leader whoserves as a member of the senior leadership team at Maine Medical Center and works to develop innovative strategic plans for Perioperative Services and oversee the implementationof these plans. The VPPS also has a high degree of responsibility and accountability for quality of patient care and fiscal management for Perioperative Services. The VPPS has broad‑based decision‑making authority for the applicable Perioperative Division. The VPPS has direct responsibility for designated areas within the Perioperative team,to direct, support and mentor acomplex, multidisciplinary teamincluding nurses and nurse leaders. Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Essential Functions In conjunction with the MMC senior leadership team, develops and implements perioperative strategy to support achievement of the overall Perioperative strategy for the Maine Medical Center.
- BA in Nursing plus aMaster's Degree in Nursing, Business Administration or Healthcare required
- A minimum of 8 years progressively responsible administrative, management or leadership work experience in order to have a thorough understanding of hospital and perioperative services functions, hospital standards and procedures, applicable state, federal, and auditing agency regulations, and to develop the skills to effectively organize and direct the activities and functions within area of responsibility.
- A high level of interpersonal skills necessary in order to communicate effectively with a wide variety of influential hospital community residents, and outside agency officials in handling highly sensitive issues, gathering and exchanging information, and promoting and maintaining good public relations.
- A high level of analytical skills necessary in order to develop and implement new systems, techniques, and/or procedures; determine needs for capital equipment and personnel, improve the functioning of assigned departments; and prepare special recurring reports or analyses.
- Ability to balance quality with cost management.
- Ability to initiate, analyze, assess, implement and effectively communicate decisions.
- Provides adequate resources for individuals and groups to ensure success. Clarifies organizational concerns.
- Promotes cross‑organizational cooperation.
- Understands and communicates the internal and external issues affecting organizational performance and acts to address them quickly and decisively.
- Demonstrates support for and models teamwork by personally working cooperatively with peers and subordinates toward the achievement of system‑wide goals and objectives.
- Publicly recognizes and encourages intra‑ and inter‑departmental team efforts and accomplishments.
Empowers and develops directors so that a variety of clinical and administrative concerns including staffing, equipment and supply acquisition.
- Responsible for assisting CNO with effort to attain and maintain Magnet Status.
- Responsible for directing the development and implementation of policies, procedures and objectives.
- Maintains effective communication with physicians and other members of the Medical Staff who utilize perioperative services.
- Consults and collaborates with the physician leadership and other physicians in the development of clinical standards and procedures.
- Maintains and enhances expertise through appropriate educational experience.
Shares the responsibility and oversight of the Department's fiscal planning, budgetingand related financial activities.
- Responsible for ensuring perioperative practices are in compliance with applicable government and other regulations and requirements.
- Is fully accountable for ensuring care within areas of responsibility is delivered at patient care deliverystandards that are consistent with national organization standards including JCAHO, state regulation,specialty organizations, i.e. AACN, ONS, etc.
- Facilitates Perioperative Leadership development to create an environment of high retention and development of staff.
- Selects, trains, directs, and evaluates the performance of, and when necessary, takes corrective action up to and including discharge of subordinate managers.
- Ensures that Perioperative teams are staffed with properly skilled and trained personnel. Ensures coverage of units.
- Ensures that systems are in place to monitor employee (nursing) satisfaction, to respond to nursing concerns and toactively and regularly work to improve employee retention.
- Maintains effective two‑way communication with nursing staff involving staff in meaningful way as part of decision making process.
- Develops reporting mechanisms to describe the performance and productivity of the department.
- Implements and reviews reports and analyses necessary for the effective operation and management.
- Reviews, revises, recommends and implements department procedures.
- Determines priorities for resource allocation and capital requests for areas of responsibility.
- Maintains perspective of the entire Nursing Department and works with peers to modify and/or reallocate resources to maximize the quality of care delivered across the department.
- Evaluates and plans for the impact of new technologies, including the effect on clinical operations, financial management and staffing.
- Implements information systems enhancements in conjunction with Information Services staff.
- Assumes administrative on‑call responsibilities on a rotating basis.
We offer benefits that support an individual's needs for today and flexibility to plan for tomorrow. Our package includes health and dental insurances, paid parental leave, retirement program, generous paid time off, and much more! Our comprehensive array of benefits are competitive, affordable, and include choices that meet specific, but ever changing, needs.
MaineHealth is a not-for-profit integrated health system consisting of eight local hospital systems, a comprehensive behavioral healthcare network, diagnostic services, home health agencies, and over 19,000 employees. It is the largest health system in northern New England and provides preventive care, diagnosis and treatment to 1.1 million residents in Maine and New Hampshire.
With a career at any of the MaineHealth locations, you'll be working with healthcare professionals that truly value the people around them - both within the walls of the organization and the neighborhoods that surround it. We are deeply invested in the wellbeing of our communities and employees. We believe in fostering a work environment of strong commitment, compassionate caring and continuous improvement. Our care - and the science behind that care - is top rate. Join us and your abilities will be challenged and enhanced as you take your career to another level.
Posting ID: 558051673Posted: 2020-08-07