Oak Street Health is a rapidly growing, innovative company of community-based healthcare centers delivering higher quality health and wellness care that improves outcomes, manages medical costs and provides an unmatched experience for adults on Medicare in medically underserved communities. By providing holistic, comprehensive and integrated care right in our patients' communities, we can help keep them healthy and reinvest cost savings in further care for those same communities and others. Since 2013, Oak Street Health has brought its singular approach to tens of thousands of people across the nation. With an ambitious growth trajectory, Oak Street Health is attracting and cultivating team members who embody Oak Street values and are passionate about our mission to rebuild healthcare as it should be.
For more information, visit www.oakstreethealth.com.
The Medical Director will join Oak Street Health at a critical time in the history of our company and of primary care. The opportunity for impact is large and growing, and Oak Street is leading the transition from fee-for-service to value-based care.
The Medical Director will be responsible for leading our clinicians in his/her neighborhood of clinics. The Medical Director will practice primary care in our clinics alongside their physician colleagues on a part-time basis to enable context for the practice and to remain close to our patients. On top of that limited clinical role they will have mission-critical leadership responsibilities, which include setting an example for how thoughtful primary care is practiced, serving as a formal mentor, coach, and advisor to providers in Oak Street clinics, and participating in critical organizational-wide strategic initiatives.
In addition to part-time clinical duties, a Medical Director has substantial administrative time for the following leadership and administrative duties:
- Provider Management: We want provider leadership as close to the bedside as possible. This means our medical directors are in clinics to provide management support and structure to our physicians and teams. This includes ensuring clinic and on-call schedules are adequately staffed, coaching/interviewing/promoting Medical Director candidates to take local leadership roles, owning performance reviews for Medical Directors, and supporting new physician orientations among a multitude of other functions. Medical Directors also serve as the local medical director in their home clinic.
- Leadership & Coaching: At Oak Street success isn't completing the visit or hitting an R.V.U. target. Success is high quality care: (1) minimal hospital admissions, (2) excellent preventive/chronic disease quality metrics, and (3) a great patient experience. In other words: help our patients be happy, healthy, and out of the hospital. Our Medical Directors understand these ends and the means to achieve them, and they recognize these skills don't come naturally to many clinicians; our Medical Director share their wisdom with others and help other clinicians understand the value in value-based care. They help physicians master the data-driven tools and practices required to keep patients well and out of the hospital. They engage all level of providers to the benefit of our teams and our patients. Tactically this includes delivering monthly quality dashboards to teams, coaching on tools to improve quality outcomes, and ensuring physicians are engaged and responsible for the quality of care they deliver.
- Support Organizational Strategy: We expect our Medical Directors to support our goal of continuous improvement. This is leadership close to the bedside, and it gives our medical directors a chance to be ears-on-the-ground as well as eyes-in-the-sky, sharing best practices and improvement opportunities with others on the Oak Street team. The Medical Director's duties are primarily focused on the smart management of his/her regional neighborhood, but they will have strategic input into a variety of organizational-wide projects and other initiatives which will fall into the following categories:
- Care Management
- Quality Improvement
- Clinical Committee Functions/Leadership
- Network Management
- Clinical Compliance & Policy Development
Candidates with specific experience and expertise in these fields will have greater input into those initiatives and can expect growing roles in these domains as we grow.
- Drive Culture: At Oak Street, we believe in a work hard-play hard work environment, and our Medical Directors are expected to set that example. We balance the sacred nature of the duty to our patients with the simple-yet-novel idea that practicing medicine should be fun.
Ideal candidates will be:
- Passionate about their work, eager to have fun with our team, motivated to be a part of a fast growing organization.
- Aware of their leadership skills and potential for impact and eager to share those with a fast growing, energetic team on the leading edge of healthcare innovation.
- M.D. or D.O. graduates.
- Board certification in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine required.
- Fellowship training in Geriatrics, other professional degrees (e.g., M.B.A., J.D., M.P.H.), and prior executive roles welcome but certainly not required.
- 5-15 years of experience in outpatient practice.
- Extensive experience in clinical leadership roles, leading and coaching physicians to be the best they can be for their patients and their colleagues.
- Experience using a metrics-driven approach to analyze cost, quality, and satisfaction data to drive clinical strategy and program redesign.
- Excited by process of developing and implementing new processes. Must be willing to "get hands dirty" in executing upon the Oak Street vision.
- Belief that population health and a focus on smart allocation of scarce resources can lead to high value care (better care, lower cost), both in terms of quality and safety.
- Ability to remain calm in the midst of the storm, guiding others to smart, effective solutions.
- Commitment to older adults and to low-income patients.
- Comfort with ambiguity and a love for problem solving.
- Have a work hard/play hard mentality.
Oak Street Health embraces diversity and includes all interested readers to apply.
You have been redirected to a Oak Street Health job page
Posting ID: 564754240Posted: 2020-08-09