The Assistant Deli Manager provides friendly, courteous, and helpful service. Assists the Deli Manager in
achieving department's results in providing superior service, increasing sales, improving gain, and
containing cost. Follows division guidelines for the implementation of the merchandising program. Helps
the Deli Manager train, supervise, schedule, and assign duties to deli clerks. Changes signs and prices
as directed by merchandising. Inventories floor stock and cooler stock daily. Writes deli orders in the
order guidebook and enters into computer. Checks order for completeness upon arrival. Responsible for
maintaining appropriate stock and inventory in the deli area. Additionally, operates computerized cash
register to itemize and total customer's purchases in the deli department. Collects cash, check, or charge
payment from customer and makes change for transactions. Weighs items and redeems promotional
coupons. Rotates product and removes out-of-date product daily. Prepares deli food for hot and cold deli
cases. Weighs, wraps, and prices items. May take orders in person or over the telephone. Organize and
maintain clean work area. Work schedule will be determined by the store based on business need.
Safeway Assistant Deli Manager employees are generally responsible for completing the following job
1. Provide customer service as currently defined by the employer within the scope of the position and
within company policy.
2. Help Deli Manager to train, schedule, and supervise deli workers.
3. Speak with customers to resolve problems with sales, dissatisfaction of service, or other problems.
4. Perform inventory and order necessary supplies to maintain adequate inventory.
5. Replace stock in displays surrounding deli cases.
6. Operate various food preparation machines.
7. Use scales and volume measures to apportion product correctly.
8. Obtain, transport, and unload freight.
9. Maintain cleanliness of deli area of the store.
10. Perform temperature and tare checks daily.
11. Monitor inter-office mail and company web page daily for updated information.
12. Make price signs for displays as needed.
13. Total bill, count payment, and make change.
14. Take deli orders over telephone or in person.
15. Other duties as assigned.
JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Ability to follow company customer service procedures. Demonstrated prior customer service skills or
2. Ability to interact with customers and co-workers.
3. Ability to understand and follow instructions.
4. Ability to multi-task and work in fast paced environment.
Deli Clerks in the absence of Deli Manager
Varies depending on store location and state/county requirements.
%Inside: 100% %Outside: Rare
Temperature Extremes: N/A
Chemicals: Occasional (mild detergents or glass cleaner, bleach based cleaner, oven cleaners).
Safeway, Inc. Seattle Division
SAFEWAY, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Page 2 of 2
Job Title: Assistant Deli Manager
MACHINES, TOOLS, AND EQUIPMENT:
cash register, scale, manual and automatic slicers, shrink wrap machine, hand truck/pallet jack/ sixwheeled
cart, box cutter, plastic bags, credit card scanner, numeric key board, spray bottle,
telephone/intercom, brooms/mops, dishwasher, fryer.
Constant (over 70% of the time)
Constantly lifts 1-20 lbs. Frequently lifts 21-35 lbs. Seldom lifts 36-50lbs.
Occasionally carries 1-35 lbs. to place items in storage areas or display cases. May also retrieve items
from storage for use in the deli kitchen. May use grocery cart for heavier items.
Pushing / Pulling:
Constantly pushes/pulls 1-10 lbs. to serve customers and prepare food. Occasionally pushes/pulls
11-20 lbs. Seldom pushes/pulls 21-35 lbs. to slide boxes in storage or push carts.
Constant knee to shoulder level reaching to stock and fill customer orders. Seldom overhead reaching.
Seldom at or above should level reaching.
Constant standing while on job. Sitting allowed on breaks.
Constant walking around kitchen/service area.
Seldom. May use step stool or ladder.
Constant neck rotation and bending of head. Frequent crouching. Occasional twisting. Seldom
bending/stooping and squatting.
Constant handling/grasping when filling orders, cooking, and cleaning. Constant fine finger manipulation
when handling smaller items and counting bills. Frequent repetitive motion for short periods when slicing
and making sandwiches.
Use of peripheral vision and depth perception to move around crowded store area and push carts in aisles
containing customers. Use of near vision to verify operation of register, read displays, read prices and
count change. Also important when operating slicers, deep fryers and using sharp knives.
To converse with customers to provide service, perceive questions and conduct business. To answer
pages and receive instructions from other employees.
To converse with customers, answer questions and conduct business. To page other employees over
intercom and give feedback to other employees.
Safeway will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities who can meet