General Trades Instructor
Isaac Training and Education Center (ITEC) is adding to our team!
The Skilled Trades Entry Program at our Training & Education Center in Rochester, New York, has an opening for a General Trades Instructor for a new program.
The General Trades Instructor is responsible for providing classroom instruction and practical shop experience to prepare students for entry level employment in a variety of jobs in the construction industry. The instructor will teach courses related to the core skills used in residential and commercial settings. Topics include safety, hand/power tool use, site preparation, measurement and layout, footings and foundation, construction framing, rough plumbing and electric, and other related topics.
• A high school diploma or equivalent
• A minimum of six years full-time or the equivalent part-time occupational experience in carpentry & general construction Foreman/Lead roles.
• OSHA 10 Construction Safety Certification
• Successful completion of a drug screen, background and driving record check
• Ability to teach and communicate with students of varied multicultural backgrounds.
• Successful teaching or vocational training experience.
• Knowledge of and commitment to teaching strategies and methods which enhance student success.
Required Job Functions
• Demonstrate skill, knowledge, and abilities in the trades being instructed
• Develop and use a variety of teaching methods and materials to assist students who have differing educational and experiential backgrounds in meeting the course outcomes.
• Maintain appropriate professional relationships with students, colleagues and the community.
• Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of program goals.
• Review, evaluate, recommend, and effectively use student learning materials.
• Provide students with a written and accessible course syllabus that follows the course goals, requirements, expectations, evaluation methods and schedule of work.
• Maintain a classroom and lab environment that promotes teaching and learning.
• Be available for and encourage conferences with students so there is a clearer understanding of the students’ work and the possibility of improvement.
• Assist with marketing programs and recruiting students.
• Participate in department meetings as necessary.
• Participate in the college planning process by assisting in the formulation of goals and objectives and budget priorities.
• Meet professional assignments in accordance with the ITEC calendar.
• Participate in business and/or community activities that promote the ITEC mission.
• Ability to plan course instruction based upon approved syllabus/outline provided to ensure course content and objectives are met.
• Ability to utilize a variety of teaching styles and methods to accommodate diverse learning styles of students.
• Successful experience utilizing instructional technologies, including computers, internet resources, and other appropriate media in instruction.
• Additional duties as assigned by ITEC administrator
Additional Job Responsibilities
• Teach NCCER Carpentry and Building Trades program courses.
• Develop NCCER Carpentry curriculum and course content
• Assist in maintaining NCCER program compliance activities
• Procure, maintain, inspect, and operate various equipment and supplies necessary for program instruction.
• Adapting to temperature (frequent). Ability to work in hot or cold environments either inside or outside of the home.
• Climbing (frequent). Ascending or descending stairs while transporting tools and equipment.
• Kneeling/squatting (frequent). Bending legs at the knee to come to rest on knee or knees.
• Standing (constant). For sustained periods of time on hard surfaces.
• Walking (constant). Moving on or about on foot to accomplish tasks.
• Pushing/pulling/reaching/grasping (frequent). Using upper extremities to exert force in order to push, pull, draw, haul, or tug objects in a sustained motion. Ability to type is also required.
• Lifting (frequent). Raising objects from a lower to higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position up to 50 lbs. Requires use of upper extremities and back muscles.
• Talking (frequent). Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word.
• Hearing (constant). Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make the discrimination in sound in order to successfully troubleshoot equipment.
• Seeing (constant). Ability to see in the following manner with or without corrective lenses: ability to read/see near or far, judge distances, and identify colors.
• Attendance and punctuality (regular/predictable). Regular/predictable attendance and punctuality for this position is required.
Isaac Heating & Air Conditioning is an Equal Opportunity Employer