Founded in 1867, the Sacramento Children's Home is the oldest active charity in Sacramento, & among the most highly respected. Serving over 7,000 children & over 4,000 families every year, with eight programs across six locations, we offer excellent career advancement opportunities while making a positive impact in your community.
OVERVIEW: In coordination with the treatment team, the After-School Specialist is responsible for providing tutoring to identified youth. The After-School Specialist works with a team approach with the residents’ interdisciplinary team in providing strength-based interventions with the youth and coordinates referrals with the AmeriCorps Tutors.
TO APPLY: Qualified SCH employees must submit a completed Request for Promotion or Transfer form along with a resume to Human Resources. External candidates must complete our on-line employment application available at www.kidshome.org/careers
· Provides academic assistance to assigned clients either individually or in a group.
· Works with Residential and Education team to support clients’ education plans.
· Works with Residential staff to support and participate in the onsite reading program.
· Works with Residential and Education team to address any inappropriate or unsafe behavioral disturbances during tutoring program schedule.
· Communicates with Residential and Education team staff regarding participant’s progress in the program.
· Facilitates weekly enrichment activities, including but not limited to: Reading to Dogs, Nutrition Education and Recreation Activities.
· Maintains records on each client who is tutored.
· Helps residents develop a positive attitude toward learning and studying.
· A high school diploma or GED is required. A Bachelor’s degree in human services, education, human development, counseling, or related field is preferred.
· At least 1-year of experience working with children or six months’ experience in tutoring children is required.
· Must be 21 years of age or older.
We offer an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life and accident insurance, short and long term disability plans, retirement plan, paid vacation, sick leave and holidays, tuition reimbursement, paid training and career advancement opportunities.