Clerical/Admin Office Assistant
Perform duties that are varied and diverse, requiring knowledge of office systems and procedures. Clerical duties may be assigned in accordance with the office procedures of individual establishments and may include a combination of answering telephones, bookkeeping, typing or word processing, office machine operation, and filing. Process applications for, changes to, reinstatement of, and cancellation of insurance policies. Duties include reviewing insurance applications to ensure that all questions have been answered, compiling data on insurance policy changes, changing policy records to conform to insured party's specifications, compiling data on lapsed insurance policies to determine automatic reinstatement according to company policies, cancelling insurance policies as requested by agents, and verifying the accuracy of insurance company records.
· Operate office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and personal computers.
· Answer telephones, direct calls, and take messages.
· Maintain and update filing, inventory, mailing, and database systems, either manually or using a computer.
· Communicate with customers, employees, and other individuals to answer questions, disseminate or explain information, take orders, and address complaints.
· Open, sort, and route incoming mail, answer correspondence, and prepare outgoing mail.
· Compile, copy, sort, and file records of office activities, business transactions, and other activities.
· Compute, record, and proofread data and other information, such as records or reports.
· Type, format, proofread, and edit correspondence and other documents, from notes or dictating machines, using computers or typewriters.
· Complete work schedules, manage calendars, and arrange appointments.
· Review files, records, and other documents to obtain information to respond to requests.
· Deliver messages and run errands.
· Inventory and order materials, supplies, and services.
· Troubleshoot problems involving office equipment, such as computer hardware and software.
· Collect, count, and disburse money, do basic bookkeeping, and complete banking transactions.
· Complete and mail bills, contracts, policies, invoices, or checks.
Detailed Work Activities
· Answer telephones to direct calls or provide information.
· Check data for recording errors.
· Collect deposits, payments or fees.
· Compile data or documentation.
· Confer with coworkers to coordinate work activities.
· Distribute incoming mail.
· Execute sales or other financial transactions.
· File documents or records.
· Maintain inventory records.
· Maintain office equipment in proper operating condition.
· Make travel, accommodations, or entertainment arrangements for others.
· Monitor inventories of products or materials.
· Operate office equipment.
· Prepare cash for deposit or disbursement.
· Prepare documentation for contracts, transactions, or regulatory compliance.
· Proofread documents, records, or other files to ensure accuracy.
· Provide information to coworkers.
· Record information from meetings or other formal proceedings.
· Respond to customer problems or complaints.
· Schedule appointments.
· Search files, databases or reference materials to obtain needed information.
· Send information, materials or documentation.
· Sort mail.
· Examine letters from policyholders or agents, original insurance applications, and other company documents to determine if changes are needed and effects of changes.
· Compose business correspondence for supervisors, managers, and professionals within the organization.
· Transcribe spoken or written information.
· Process and record new insurance policies and claims.
· Data base user interface and query software
· Accounting software
· Document management software
o Records management software
· Customer relationship management CRM software
· Desktop publishing software
o Adobe Systems Adobe InDesign
· Electronic mail software
o Microsoft Outlook
· Spreadsheet software
o Microsoft Excel
o Spreadsheet software
· Calendar and scheduling software
· Office suite software
o Microsoft Office software
· Operating system software
o Microsoft Windows
· Presentation software
o Microsoft PowerPoint