The Registered Nurse is responsible for the delivery of quality patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. The Registered Nurse functions within the limits of the Missouri Nurse Practice Act, St. Alexius Hospital and Patient Care Services policies and practice guidelines, and performs in a comparable manner to peers with similar training, experience and circumstances.
Eligibility for Sign-on Bonus is subject to HR Policy 219 - Employment Awards.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
"*" Denotes the essential job functions according to ADA guidelines.
*1. Plans work assignments, including the staffing and scheduling of assignments, based on patient needs and qualification of the nursing staff using the Nursing Services guidelines to ensure adequate and appropriate staffing levels. Demonstrates flexibility in response to unexpected changes in work volume, schedule changes and emergencies.
*2. Acts as resource person for patients, visitors and staff in both routine and crisis situations. Addresses problems and complaints thoroughly and responds appropriately and promptly.
*3. Assesses the physical and psychosocial dimensions of patients using a holistic approach, within the scope of knowledge and experience base, upon admission and throughout the nursing process, and documents appropriately into the patient record following established standards of the patient care services department.
*4. Plans, implements and evaluates a formal written individualized plan of care within the appropriate time frame based on the nursing assessment and diagnosis and appropriate Standards of Care.
*5. Provides quality patient care from admission to discharge by collaborating with all healthcare team members and other departments and maintaining cost-effectiveness in accordance with established policy and practice guidelines.
*6. Participates in unit based quality improvement processes as required.
*7. Assumes accountability for professional growth by functioning as a preceptor for patient care staff and an educational resource for other healthcare professionals, maintaining a current professional knowledge base and developing leadership behaviors and skills as a charge nurse in accordance with established policies and practice guidelines.
*8. Demonstrates competencies of the Missouri Nurse Practice Act by practicing within established policies and practice guidelines.
*9. Demonstrates unit-defined competencies as required.
10. Establishes and maintains a therapeutic relationship with the patient and family members, from admission through discharge, demonstrating an awareness of family concerns and apprehensions, displaying empathy and genuine concern, and using verbal and non-verbal therapeutic techniques during interaction.
11. Co-facilitates groups and provides direction and/or assistance with delegation of group duties to treatment team members and participates in the multidisciplinary treatment team conference providing input for the patients' treatment plan per established department procedures.
12. Assists patients to de-escalate behavior during the development of a crisis, using non-violent crisis intervention techniques and provides direction and delegation to the treatment team during the alert process per established department procedures.
13. Provides both physical and emotional daily care to patients in a manner that considers safety, patient rights, comfort and the therapeutic environment, and encourages independent behavior when appropriate per established department procedures.
14. Assists in protecting the rights of the mental health patient through maintaining policy and procedure during patient admission to the assigned unit, throughout the involuntary process, and providing care and supervision for the patient in restraints and/or seclusion per established department procedures.
15. Functions as a qualified Mental Health Professional.
16. Maintain patient, staff, and visitor safety through completion of rounds on patients, close monitoring of suicide precautions, elopement precautions, and assaultive precautions, the search of patient rooms and belongings, checking for sharps or hazardous items, handling illegal drugs,/weapons and care of the unit keys.
17. Provide for appropriate delegation of duties and monitoring as charge nurse to treatment team members and maintain quality assurance of the assigned psychiatric unit per established department procedures.
18. Performs other duties as assigned.. Requirements:
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
Graduation from Associate, Diploma, or Bachelor degree Nursing Program.
Must have knowledge of Growth and Development and show clinical expertise for ages of patients served.
Eligible for or currently licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Missouri
Recent clinical experience preferred. Prior experience in Psychiatry preferred.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Completion of CPR; CPI. Evaluative skills necessary for patient assessment. Decision making skills required for treatment planning/implementation. Clinical reasoning and judgment skills necessary for evaluation of nursing interventions and for safety of patients and self. Excellent oral and written communication skills to interact with patients, visitors and staff. Ability to recognize need for and alter communication with patients with communication impairments Ability to manage time, organize daily schedule to meet productivity standards, and cope with professional stress
An individual without requisites stated above may present a written justification explaining the relevance of his/her background for a specific vacant position. Depending on organizational needs and availability of more qualified applicants, an applicant may have some or all requisites revised or waived at the hospital's discretion.