Travelers' Business Insurance Middle Market Construction, Energy, and Marine team is looking for a highly motivated individual to join the team supporting business unit strategies and initiatives. This is a leadership role that will partner closely with our business partners in the Construction, Energy, and Marine business units to drive strategic initiatives aligned with our goal of driving profitable growth over time. Line of business responsibilities will include General Liability, Umbrella, Property, and the Marine line. Additional responsibilities include communication of key actuarial analyses including rate adequacy, reserve review results, performance measures, reinsurance, pricing/profitability reporting, and plan along with reporting, and ad-hoc business partner requests.
The role requires excellent organization and communication skills as well as a desire to learn about the intricacies of Construction, Energy, and Marine insurance. Strong technical skills (SAS, Excel, QlikView, VBA) are strongly preferred. Must be able to work under general to limited supervision. en decisions.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assess, prioritize, influence and communicate strategic initiative options to senior leaders.
- Demonstrate effective execution and completion of assigned strategic initiatives and projects.
- Regularly generate process improvements and explore opportunities for innovation.
- Lead assigned unit strategic initiatives (narrow scope, limited and well defined) and cross-unit initiatives on a limited basis and is expected to participate in Enterprise initiatives on a limited basis.
- Independently perform actuarial and analytic analyses to solve business problems and apply judgment appropriately.
- Drive day to day execution within unit. Support broad department initiatives.
- Promote efficiency across primary working group, balancing additional effort against incremental lift gained from work.
- Begin to make decisions independently in accordance with department practices.
- Provide direction and review others' analytical work.
- Translate business requests into analytical solutions.
- Provide support as necessary for initiatives across the Enterprise within the scope of influence.
- Communicates on a regular basis with staff, peers and business partners and on an occasional basis with senior leaders.
- Tailors communication of analysis, project results, and other business initiatives to audience.
- Communicates technical topics to non-technical audiences with limited guidance.
- Leads group discussions with primary working group.
- Creates formal written communication such as memos or presentations with limited guidance.
- Able to influence and collaborate with peers and partners to take actions to enhance business outcomes.
- Staff responsibilities are likely to include direct management of a small team of individual contributors.
- Acquisition, retention, and development of talent for assigned unit.
- Execute and communicate talent development processes, including performance and personal development goals.
- Succession planning and talent assessment recommendations.
- Mentor less experienced talent across the Enterprise.
- Onboard new employees and interns in unit.
- Support various training and skill development initiatives across Segment and the Enterprise.
- May provide support for recruiting efforts and candidate talent assessment efforts.
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience performing quantitative analysis required.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- College degree in STEM related field.
- Associate Actuarial Credential preferred.
- 7+ years of quantitative analysis experience.
- Strong understanding of insurance products and industry.
- Demonstrated ability in actuarial and quantitative analysis and statistical concepts.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills.
- Ability to present and translate complex information in relevant business terms.
- Strong PC skills (MS Office) and programming skills (eg. SQL, SAS).
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Begins to challenge conventional thinking.
- Takes ownership of projects related to strategic initiatives and makes recommendations to influence business outcomes.
- Proficient in Leading Self, exhibiting decisiveness and self-awareness while also effectively managing ambiguity.
- Initial development of Leading Others, including modeling the way for others and effectively leading team projects.
- Initial development of Leading the Business, including actively engaging in driving business results, broad thinking and promoting an Enterprise culture.
- Has an in-depth understanding and knowledge of certain key business drivers and disciplines such as: underwriting, products, reinsurance, distribution, sales, operations, risk control, claim, and financials.
- Able to effectively utilize this business knowledge in developing and implementing analytic solutions.
- Has a general perspective of the industry and developing trends, including: technology, analytic methodology, products, and performance of competitors.
- Is familiar with other key business drivers and disciplines.
- Proactively build and own professional business relationships across the Enterprise.
- Generate and solicit ideas, and build consensus
- Aware of potential conflict and address proactively.
- Acknowledge accomplishments of others within your primary working group.
- Set and manage expectations with business partners for large projects.
- Understand diverse perspectives to effectively accomplish business goals.
- Able to introduce innovative techniques to existing problems.
- Independently perform and implement complex analytics.
- Leads and actively engages in technical/peer reviews.
- May offer technical consultative feedback.
- Can assess various technical solutions to optimize analytical outcomes.
- Job ID: 54088528
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
Hunt Valley, Maryland, United States
St. Paul, Minnesota, United States
- Position Title: Director, Actuarial & Analytics - Construction, Energy, & Marine
- Company Name: Travelers Insurance
- Job Function: FCAS
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Job Duration: Indefinite
- Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
- Min Experience: 7-10 Years
- Required Travel: 0-10%
Jobs You May Like
100% Renewable Energy Organizing Fellowship
HRA of New Britain, Inc
New Britain, CT, United States
Waltham, MA, United States
Senior Product Manager, New 5G Businesses Edge...
Waltham, MA, United States
Be the first to know about new jobs! Automatically receive an email when new jobs for this search are available. ×
Posting ID: 564750889Posted: 2020-08-05