Dodge Nature Center is a nonprofit dedicated to providing quality environmental education programs on its 462-acre nature preserve in West St. Paul, Mendota Heights, and Cottage Grove. This position is a member of the Dodge leadership team and directs all development, fundraising and marketing efforts for Dodge Nature Center while leading a team of three (Senior Development Associate, Communications Associate, and Office Coordinator).
Budget and Work Plan
- Create annual contributed income budget to meet organizational revenue goals.
- Update/create annual work plan to support budget.
- Monitor and report on budget monthly; create dashboards.
- Annual fund: working in partnership with senior development associate create multi-channel plan for fiscal year and, calendar year end and spring appeals.
- Grantwriting: working in partnership with communications associate, write grants and funder reports, identify new foundation funding opportunities.
- Events: manage and execute fundraising events including annual fundraising benefit, house parties and new ideas. In partnership with senior development associate, secure sponsor benefits. Participate in Dodge community events such as Rock the Barn and Halloween Hoopla.
- Board: working in partnership with the executive director, ensure 100% board participation.
- Major gifts and special projects: create and execute campaigns to meet organizational needs.
- Comprehensive campaign management: Work in collaboration with the Executive Director, Campaign Committee and Campaign consultants on the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of gifts for the Dodge comprehensive campaign. Oversee the execution of the public phase of the campaign including campaign announcement and broad-based identification, cultivation and solicitation efforts.
- Planned giving: manage planned giving program, market planned giving opportunities, build planned giving prospect portfolio.
- Manage and execute donor and prospect events including campaign events, annual donor thank you breakfast and happy hour.
- Implement stewardship plan for Wildflower Society (annual fund) and Egret Society (planned giving) donors.
- Work with executive director to manage board and committee member relationships.
- Establish portfolio of campaign donors and prospects, steward foundation contacts, planned giving donors.
- Development committee: working with chair and vice chair create agenda, guide volunteers in development work, create committee goals and provide quarterly reports on progress.
Marketing and Communications
- With communications associate, manage marketing and communications calendar.
- Website: work with team to manage and maintain website for timeliness and accuracy.
- Publications: work with communications associate on bi-annual printed newsletter, annual report and other stewardship materials.
- Review blog posts and monthly activity emails.
- Oversee Raiser's Edge database, including gift entry, data entry for cross-departmental data.
- Ensure team adheres to data best practices and consistency.
- Leadership, high level of confidentiality, ethical standards and conduct, strategic and forwardthinking, strong analytical abilities, problem solving, communication, time management, decision making, organizational skills and ability to work with others internally and externally.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff.
- A proven track record for identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and closing gifts at all levels and from all sources.
- Ability to write persuasively for a variety of audiences, including donor centric communications..
- Ability to understand relational database and perform detailed analysis.
- Evidence of being self-starting, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and creative in identifying prospects and opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree.
- 3-5 years demonstrated experience with individual, corporate, foundation, planned gifts and special events fundraising and managing teams for non-profits.
- High commitment to ethics and fundraising best practices.
- Campaign experience preferred.
- Experience with Raisers Edge, Online Express, WordPress preferred.
The deadline to apply for this position is July 24, 2020. Please submit resume and cover letter specifying qualification to Jason Sanders, Executive Director, at email@example.com or by mail: