Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare provides specialized health care for people who have short-term or long-term disabilities that began during childhood. We help children, adults and their families improve their health, achieve greater well-being, and enjoy life.
Make a difference-in your life and in the world-with a rewarding career at Gillette Children's Specialty Healthcare.
Gillette has been a Twin Cities Top Workplace six years in a row and is a National Top Workplace. We offer competitive pay, a strong benefits package and flexible schedules. Plus we give employees something that sets us apart: a chance to take part in our mission. Come to work for Gillette, and you'll improve the lives of countless children and adults who have disabilities or complex medical conditions.
Each year, we see more patients and add more services. That growth enabled us to increase our workforce by more than 25 percent during the past five years. As we continue expanding, you'll have many chances to learn new skills and advance your career. You'll also collaborate with teams of caring professionals who are committed to making the world a better place.
This position exists to ensure the coordinated delivery of safe, efficient, effective and timely nursing and related services to patients being served at Gillette. Responsible for leading and managing all advanced practice nurses, physician assistants and nursing specialists within the organization.
• Coordinating the 24-hour/7 days per week access and delivery of service to meet quality, safety, timely, effective, efficient and patient and family centered care expectations.
• Ensuring that adequately trained staff is available and properly assigned to support the care delivery and achieve the desired patient and organizational outcomes.
• Coordinating and/or negotiating goals and service provision with the referring providers and multi-disciplinary and multi-facility team members.
• Managing competing needs of growth, program development and financial goals.
• Establishing and maintaining effective relationships and communication to advance the care, services and goals.
Commitment - Demonstrate a commitment to Gillette's Mission, Vision, and Principles of Care. Understand how your work is aligned to the company and department objectives and take ownership of success.
Accountability - Hold self and others accountable for actions, commitments, results and resource management. Maintain care of the work environment. Protect confidential information.
Respect - Foster a welcoming environment characterized by a high level of acceptance, cooperation, and mutual respect of individual differences. Build professional relationships with patients, families, coworkers, and others. Follow Gillette's guidelines and Code of Conduct for resolving issues.
Excellence - Adopt practices to deliver superior clinical and non-clinical outcomes, enhance processes, and ensure excellence in daily work. Embrace change and demonstrate willingness to find and learn ways to accomplish the work.
Service - Demonstrate a passion to care for patients, families, coworkers, and others by anticipating and meeting needs.
• Demonstrates accuracy, efficiency, and completeness in product and processes to achieve outcomes.
• Performs tasks with appropriate urgency and accuracy while reducing waste through proactive time management.
• Balances attention to detail and effective use of resources.
• Creates capacity while maintaining quality.
• Effectively balances workload, workflow and staffing needs.
• Maintains adequate staff for safe, effective quality care and service.
• Leads by example and sets standards for professional behavior.
• Leads committees, task forces, meetings and the work of the department or work group.
• Operates in a visible and accessible manner with staff.
• Promotes staff engagement.
• Promotes staff participation in decision making, development of innovative processes and participation on teams/committees.
• Establishes and communicates clear expectations for staff.
• Provides regular, timely and appropriate feedback.
• Holds staff accountable for performance.
• Addresses performance issues promptly and corrects poor performance.
• Enables employees to grow and succeed through coaching, feedback, instruction, and encouragement.
• Conducts early or on-time performance reviews with all staff.
• Displays broad understanding of key business fundamentals.
• Develops thorough and justified operating and capital budgets and staffing plans.
• Meets financial goals while practicing effective time and resource management within the department eliminating waste and redundancy.
• Balances the needs of business and staff appropriately.
• Understands key trends and dynamics in the marketplace.
• Aligns department objectives with organizational goals.
• Identifies knowledge and skills needed to improve the organization.
• Analyzes trends and changes in the healthcare environment.
• Identifies and participates in opportunities to expand, reduce cost and/or develop new programs or services
Professional Development/Quality Improvement
• Actively performs self assessment, receives feedback and adapts behavior and contributes to positive growth.
• Completes all annual education requirements within the last evaluation cycle.
• Actively participates as an engaged leader in a professional organization.
• Proactively identifies implements and sustains process improvements.
• Evaluates the quality, safety, effectiveness and appropriateness of care.
• Facilitates staff participation in process improvement and outcomes monitoring.
• Finds ways to turn ideas into reality and follow through with actions.
• Suggests and asks others for ideas to improve safety, quality, efficiency, and effectiveness.
• Promotes and participates in required and optional educational opportunities.
• Continually seeks to improve and maintain knowledge in field of expertise.
• Assures staff education and skill development in teamwork, communication and collaboration.
• Enhances staff members' commitment to the engaged professional practice model.
• Utilizes effective verbal, listening and written communication skills to communicate appropriately with all levels of the organization.
• Influences others to act in support of ideas, programs, or causes.
• Demonstrates understanding of interpersonal dynamics of organizational structure.
• Constructively resolves conflicts.
Outcomes / Results
• Continually evaluates quality and effectiveness of work and care.
• Facilitates staff participation in the evaluation of key outcomes, processes, and service parameters.
• Measures results against benchmarks.
• Demonstrates knowledge by performing all aspects of job in accordance with Gillette policies.
• Supports a flexible organization equipped for change.
• Demonstrates a resilient attitude in the face of change. Supports and encourages others challenged with change.
• Generates, shares, and accepts new ideas and incorporates into the work of the department and the organization.
• Serves as a change agent assisting others in understanding the importance, necessity, impact, and process of change.
• Demonstrates critical thinking skills in problem recognition, decision making, prioritization/organization, evaluation, and implementation.
• Anticipates long term outcomes and affect on others.
• Utilizes current research findings, practice guidelines and standards of care to advance the delivery of care and service to patients and families.
• Acknowledges and celebrates workplace successes and achievements.
• Promotes ownership in the success of the department and organization.
• Rewards appropriate behaviors and confronts and manages inappropriate behaviors.
• Promotes environment of openness and trust.
• Collaborates with others to work toward a common purpose while keeping individual needs and priorities in context.
• Conveys confidence in a group's ability to prevail over challenges to meet goals.
• Coaches and mentors staff and teams to achieve common goals.
• Develops departmental goals with staff members and facilitates achievement of goals.
• Demonstrates progress toward or completion of existing goals.
• Holds staff accountable for expectations.
• Participates in division and organization goal development and implementation. Promotes staff understanding of these priorities.
• Sets clear, meaningful, challenging, and attainable goals. (Uses Goals form to summarize existing and future goals.)
• Current Registered Nurse (RN) license through the MN Board of Nursing
• Documentation of completion of a professional nursing program (RN program) as well as an advanced practice nursing program (Master's degree or higher).
• Minimum of 5 years of clinical experience relevant to the position
• Minimum of 3 years experience in a nursing leadership, supervisory or managerial role within a relevant clinical setting
• Demonstrate ability to initiate significant and complex process improvement initiatives that involve a number of stakeholders
• Demonstrate ability to work closely with physicians and clinical providers
• Strong knowledge, skills, and experience in communicating with diverse groups, negotiating complex issues and in maintaining professional relationships
• Time management, problem solving, protocol, policy and procedure development skills
• Financial and budget management experience; ability to analyze trends and changes in healthcare environment
• Management of human resources experience, including recruiting and retention, staffing and performance management
• Interest in and commitment to advancing services for individuals with disabilities.
• Excellent customer service skills
• Advance Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
• Doctorate degree in nursing or related field
• Additional educational preparation and/or professional certification or advancement
• Experience working with individuals with disabilities
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Head of Nursing - Advanced Practice & Nursing Governance