Position Summary: The QA Specialist is a hands-on technical position responsible for developing and monitoring the quality processes of a production plant to ensure compliance with local, state and federal food safety guidelines, standards and regulations. This position is responsible for training and overseeing plant personnel in all areas of food safety (i.e. GMP's; SOP's; SSOP's; HARPC). This position will include conducting internal audits, establishing verification and validation steps for food safety processes and all required record-keeping for the QA programs. The QA Specialist will work closely with Plant Management in testing ingredients, establishing specifications, conducting shelf-life studies and monitoring the production processes to ensure they meet Quality and Food Safety standards and requirements.
- Assist in the development and monitoring of the Comprehensive Food Safety Program.
- Assist in establishing, maintaining, overseeing and enforcing all quality assurance standards and programs to assure compliance with company guidelines, local, state and federal regulations.
- Maintain record-keeping for all required food safety programs.
- Administer food safety and sanitation educational classes and monitor the training certification and verification programs.
- Establish and maintain supplier verification programs.
- Assist in the testing of new ingredients and recipes.
- Ability to write ingredient specifications and maintain files. Monitor ingredient Certificate of Analysis requirements.
- Oversee 3rd party audits and implement corrective actions when needed.
- Oversee environmental monitoring programs (Allergen, Pest Control and Chemical Programs).
- Ensure food quality and consistency in accordance with standard recipes, specifications and procedures.
- Assist in investigating and resolving food quality issues from stores or customer complaints.
- Assist in establishing operating, sanitation and safety procedures for plant equipment.
- Assist in investigating, analyzing and troubleshooting ingredient and recipe issues.
- Education: Technical Science Degree (Food Science degree preferred).
- Certification as FSPCA Qualified Individual or ability to obtain certification.
- Related experience in the areas of food science / food technology / food processing / food manufacturing preferred.
- Experienced with Food Safety Regulations or ability to learn, including; FSMA, GFSI, HACCP, HARPC, GMP's, SOP's, Plant Hygiene, Equipment Calibration, Allergens, Food Labeling, and Sanitation Practices.
- Strong computer skills with the ability to learn new programs and processes.
- Must possess strong human relations skills with the ability to teach, coach and counsel associates; and the ability to work with a diverse workforce with differing backgrounds and abilities in a union environment.
- Must possess high degree of self-motivation, initiative and ability to work independently.
- Demonstrates strong problem solving skills with the ability to develop new ideas and solutions to problems.
- Excellent reading, written and oral communication skills. Ability to write detailed specs, standards and operating procedures.
- Demonstrates effective planning and organizational skills with ability to multi-task within a fast paced environment.
- Demonstrates a positive attitude, integrity and honesty.
- Is open minded, flexible and highly adaptable to change with a tolerance for stress.
- Must be able to work in various environments of the plant from freezers to 100+ degrees.
- Must be able to stand for long periods at a time.
- Must be able to lift 40lbs.
This description is representative only and is not exhaustive of the tasks that an associate in the position may be required to perform.
Posting ID: 581963397Posted: 2020-11-27