Custodial Services provides cleaning services to University of Michigan administrative and academic buildings on the Ann Arbor campus. We service over 13 million square feet of floor space in over 250 buildings. Building Services employs over 400 people consisting of custodial, pest management, support, administrative and managerial staff.
Our mission is to maintain the facilities to provide a sanitary, safe and pleasant environment for the University of Michigan's students, faculty, staff and guests.
- Vacuum floors.
- Dust mop floors.
- Wet mop floors.
- Empty and sanitize receptacles following all safety guidelines for handling of waste.
- Clean chalkboards and erasers.
- Hand dust furnishings and assorted surfaces.
- Clean mirrors, interior glass, and entrance way glass.
- Clean and restock restrooms.
- Scrub shower room walls and floors.
- Spot wash walls.
- Sweep and wet mop stairs and clean stair risers.
- Dust stairway hand rails.
- Clean cigarette urns.
- Wash toilet partitions.
- Clean window wells.
- Dust venetian blinds.
- Move and arrange furnishings within rooms for cleaning purposes.
- Fill soap dispensers.
- Move cleaning equipment and supplies between floors.
- Collect lost and found items and report them to supervision.
- Spot clean carpet stains.
- Unplug commodes, urinals, and drains without dismantling fixture.
- Report items in need of repair.
- Clean and polish stainless steel and brass.
- Clean elevators and tracks.
- Remove graffiti and flyers from walls.
- High dust vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- Clean telephones.
- Disinfect exam tables.
- Police grounds building entrance ways by performing such duties as picking up paper and trash, and sweeping as necessary.
- Open and lock building/rooms according to schedule.
- Transport waste material to central locations.
- Turn on and off lights and equipment in rooms, as needed.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies according to instructions.
- Remove snow from entrances and spread ice melt as needed.
- Perform all duties in a safe and conscientious manner.
- Report all work related accidents or illnesses immediately.
- Interact with building occupants on behalf of Plant Building & Ground Services.
- Report unauthorized people in the buildings and any other security problems to the Department of Public Safety.
- Interact in a responsible manner with Supervisors, co-workers and clients.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Candidate will be expected effectively move/adjust equipment and furniture of various shapes and sizes.
- Candidate will be expected to effectively clean/maintain areas that are located in various positions, including several feet off the floor, close the floor, and under/around obstacles.
- Candidate will be expected to effectively communicate with co-workers, supervisors, customers, and facility managers.
- Must be able to follow instructions.
- Must have at least a GED or High School diploma.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Posting ID: 549137996Posted: 2020-07-14