Important Update: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, Kaiser Permanente is moving to a virtual recruitment process including telephone and video interviews to help ensure the health and safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Also, some hiring activities may be delayed or suspended in certain geographic areas and job categories. For more information on Kaiser Permanente's response to COVID-19, visit our Resource Center .
Our nurse professionals embody what it means to provide the best patient interactions possible. They also advance the art and science of nursing in a patient-centered, healing environment.
Licensed Vocational Nurse - Outpatient Nursing
Submit Interest Location:
South San Francisco, CA Additional Locations: Job Number:
891938 Date posted:
Provides nursing care, under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or physician, in accordance with the legal scope of practice and within established standards of care, policies, and procedures. Demonstrates performance consistent with the Medical Center Vision, Mission, and Strategic Plan of the organization. Remains flexible to changing systems; is expected to demonstrate quality and effectiveness in work habits and clinical practice; and treats co-workers, patients, families, and all members of the health care team with dignity and respect. Essential Responsibilities:
- The Licensed Vocational Nurse demonstrates proficiency by exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors: - Leadership - Upholds Kaiser Permanente-s Policies and Procedures, Principles of Responsibility, and applicable state, federal and local laws. - Demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude. - Identifies and supports new ideas. - Utilizes effective communication strategies, including chain of command and issue escalation, which result in intended outcomes. - Participates in problem identification and resolution. - Mentors and orients others in skill and behavioral learning. - Demonstrates ability to problem solve with other departments in order to assist member problem resolution. - Prioritizes and delegates work assignments appropriately to ensure completion of patient care activities. - Complies with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures, and standards of practice. - Nursing Process - Performs patient care activities, within the scope of competency, considering age-related needs of the patient as assigned. - Reports unusual findings to the physician and/or Registered Nurse and contributes recommendations for revision to the plan of care. - Adheres to medical center standards, which customize care for age-related needs of the population served. - Keeps health care team members informed regarding patients- responses to interventions. - Collaborates with physician and/or Registered Nurse to develop individualized plan of care that reflects clinical findings, planning, implementing, and evaluating the outcomes of that plan. - Monitors patients- progress based on the plan. - Assures care meets standards of practice. - Collaborates with physician and/or Registered Nurse to assure patient/family education. - Documentation - Charting is legible, dated, and timed. - Documentation reflects thorough data collection and care provided. - Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently. - Safety - Complies with Patient Safety Standards. - Maintains a safe work environment. - Clinical Outcomes - Discusses patient findings and progress toward outcomes with physicians, Registered Nurse, and other members of the health care team. - Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and ongoing by completion of departmental competency validation. - Participates in departmental performance improvement activities, i.e., planning, and measuring/monitoring, assessing and improving. - Customer Service - Practices customer service standards as defined by the Medical Center and specified department. - Anticipates the customer-s needs, takes proactive steps to meet those needs, by listening and taking responsibility within scope to ensure issues are resolved. - Promptly responds to alarms and patient requests. - Facilitates the customer-s ability to utilize resources. - Assures a clean, orderly, and functional work environment. - Team Commitment - Is an effective team member who is flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others. - Manages difficult or conflict situations constructively and seeks appropriate assistance. - Takes accountability for own actions. - Acts as a resource and mentor to new employees, students, and other team members. - Actively participates in departmental professional development activities. - Adheres to Attendance Policy. - Supports a collaborative labor-management partnership environment. - Supervisory Responsibilities - This job has no supervisory responsibilities. - Compliance Accountability - Consistently supports compliance and the Principles of Responsibility (KP-s code of conduct) by maintaining confidentiality, protecting the assets of the organization, acting with ethics and integrity, reporting non-compliance, and adhering to applicable Federal and State laws and regulations, accreditation and licensure requirements, and KP policies and procedures. - Competencies - To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies : - Analytical - Collects and researches data; uses intuition and experience to complement data. - Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions. - Customer Service - In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors. - Interpersonal Skills - Maintains confidentiality; treats co-workers, patients, and facility visitors with respect. - Oral Communication - Listens and gets clarification to ensure that instructions and requests are fully understood. - Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; reads and interprets written information. - Teamwork - Contributes to building a positive team spirit; balances team and individual responsibilities. - Physical Demands - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an incumbent to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. - While performing the duties of this Job, the incumbent is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The incumbent is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The incumbent must regularly lift and /or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. - Work Environment - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an incumbent encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. - While performing the duties of this Job, the incumbent is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. Frequent exposure to patients who may be experiencing a wide range of acute and chronic medical conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. - In addition to defined technical requirements, accountable for consistently demonstrating service behaviors and principles defined by the Kaiser Permanente Service Quality Credo, the KP Mission as well as specific departmental/organizational initiatives. Also accountable for consistently demonstrating the knowledge, skills, abilities, and behaviors necessary to provide superior and culturally sensitive service to each other, to our members, and to purchasers, contracted providers and vendors. Basic Qualifications: Experience
- Minimum six (6) months acute care and/or related outpatient experience within past four (4) years. Per the National Agreement, current KP Coalition employees have this experience requirement waived. - Minimum one (1) year acute care experience within past four years if working in a Home Health/Hospice Department. Education
- High School Diploma/GED License, Certification, Registration
- Current California Vocational Nurse License. - Basic Life Support (BLS) required. Additional Requirements:
- Additional certification maybe required based upon department needs within six (6) months of hire (PALS, ACLS, NALS). - Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an appropriate program or course is available and successfully completed for New Graduate LVNs. - Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other incumbents of the organization. - Must be willing to work in a Labor Management Partnership environment. Preferred Qualifications:
- N/A. Primary Location:
California,South San Francisco,S. San Francisco Medical Offices 1200 El Camino Re Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri *Expected length of employment up to 3 months Working Hours Start:
8:00 AM Working Hours End:
4:30 PM Job Schedule:
Full-time Job Type:
Standard Employee Status:
Temporary Employee Group/Union Affiliation:
United Healthcare Workers - West Job Level:
Individual Contributor Job Category:
Nursing Licensed Specialty:
LVN / LPN Department:
Medicine- Flu Clinic Travel:
Yes, 15 % of the Time Kaiser Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity, veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected status.
External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
Click here for additional requirements >
About Nursing & Physician Assistant Careers
See What People are Saying About Working at KP
Come introduce yourself to a member of the Kaiser Permanente team at an upcoming career or professional event. We look forward to meeting you in person.
You do not have any recently viewed jobs.
Join Kaiser Permanente's Talent Network
Please fill out the fields below and click "Join Now" to receive information about opportunities that relate to your selections.
Enter Last Name
Search for a category and select one from the list of suggestions. Search for a location and select one from the list of suggestions. Finally, click "Add" to create your job alert.
Select Job Location*