JOB TITLE: Fleet Maintenance Manager
FLSA EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: President
DIRECT REPORTS: Mechanics, Shop Coordinator, Parts Coordinator
POSITION SUMMARY: Will lead the maintenance team's efforts, applying techniques in best maintenance practices to maximize equipment reliability and resource availability, through recognized improvement and sustainability programs that include planning and managing the maintenance activities i.e. purchase, repair and equipment; coordinates vehicle and equipment maintenance, service and repair needs; manages regulatory compliance requirements; trains, develops and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel.
A TYPICAL DAY: This is not just a job; this is a dedicated team determined to make a difference while managing the appropriate allocation of labor to work. We believe in making a difference every hour, every day. Our positive energy and time are invested for the purpose of a cleaner future for our county, next generation, and a greener environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to the following:
- Leads technical competence of maintenance personnel and developing a plan that supports safety, people engagement and developing their skillset, quality, cost, reliability of equipment and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensures sufficient vehicles are operational, serviced, and ready to meet daily route requirements.
- Provides mechanical expertise to the team for troubleshooting, maintaining and modification/additions.
- Provides direction and input into refining the preventative maintenance, and spare parts stocking. Monitors/Controls inventory to complete repairs promptly without delays. Weekly inventory checks.
- Oversees the data in Fleet Maintenance Software System (Dossier) to control costs, prioritization of work orders, categorize repairs to enhance productivity. Constant review of pending repairs.
- Manages Dossier dashboard and utilize the system to its fullest by actively reducing rework, increase warranty recapture dollars, and support equipment life cycle. Run reports, prepare data for presentation in graphic and summary form.
- Keeps a vigil eye for opportunities related to financial & operational efficiencies.
- In tune with mechanics & parts techs skillsets and allocate work accordingly according to skillset. Identify unfavorable maintenance trends as they occur. Initiate corrective actions, utilizes benchmarking and revises procedures to improve effectiveness and eliminate deficiencies.
- Perform work in a safe manner to protect one's self, team, and the public from injury or harm.
- Promote safety awareness, identify potential safety hazards in the shop and follow safety procedures and policies. Be an active contributor in safety meetings. Take a proactive approach with events (i.e., weather ensure that if rain is in the forecast ensure wipers are maintained).
- Facilitate and direct training for new and experienced mechanics to ensure safe tool use. Keep MSDS sheets up to date.
- Work with management to review plans for the purchase of new equipment, ensuring current and future safety or performance requirements and best practices.
- Assure that all safety inspections are current.
- Maintain knowledge of current industry best practices and changes in regulations and communicate these effectively and lead the implementation of new or altered standards.
- Collaborate with Route Supervisors in root cause analysis investigation for consistent issues, develop preventative best practices, process improvements and widely communicating findings to help reduce reoccurring issues/damage.
- Review, update, and modify preventive maintenance programs to fit current maintenance trends and analyze maintenance department performance data to implement methods of increasing efficiency and reducing costs.
- Supervise maintenance team to include conducting performance evaluations, career progression, communication, equipment training and any disciplinary actions.
- Establish & maintain vehicle standards including reduced carbon footprint, wastewater, etc.
- Inspect work by employees and contractors (walk around/be visible) in progress and upon completion to ensure compliance with standards and specifications; advise of work in progress, operating problems and actual or potential delays.
- Produce monthly inventory reports for Accounting.
- Ensure that equipment parts, personnel, vendors are in the database.
- Make this a fun place to work by displaying positive leadership behaviors to drive employee engagement, motivation, and retention.
- Maintain a feeling of pride in work; strives to achieve all goals.
- Supports the MarBorg Mission.
- Other duties as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Develop a cohesive team, providing coaching and development on a regular basis. Manages maintenance technician staff schedules, workload, and performance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Doing Good - (i.e., Code of Conduct).
- Making Good - (i.e., Accountability, responsibility, and ownership for a problem).
- Treating People Well - (i.e., Works cooperatively and effectively with others).
- Environmentally Focused (i.e., Employee takes initiative as a LEED building initiative to preserve and improve our local environment for future generations).
- Observant: (i.e., Employee can identify safety or operational deficiency's and to quickly implement a correction).
- Safety Matters: Employee actively participates and promotes a safe and healthy workplace.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES: Project Management, Mechanical Aptitude, Safety, Compliance, Leadership
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Waste industry experience a plus.
- 10 years of increasingly responsible experience in fleet maintenance, that includes at least five (5) years of supervisory or management level maintenance experience.
- Adaptability to changing situations and can perform multiple tasks with multiple priorities.
- Able to foster accountability and excellence in the team.
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thought processes to develop, recommend and implement strategies and programs that address operational objectives.
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflict effectively.
- Proficient in making business decisions using facts and good judgment.
- Proficient in the use of Windows based computer programs (Outlook, Excel, and Word) and a general aptitude with software systems
- Superior organizational and project management skills and experience leading and managing people.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to put people at ease, builds trust, enthusiastic about finding win-win solutions.
- Expertise in parts optimization strategies.
- Disciplined in setting and meeting goals in self-directed schedule.
- Excellent follow through and attention to detail.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in a related discipline or a minimum of ten (10) years' experience in Fleet management, maintenance, and repair of equipment.
Position requires excellent verbal and writes English communication skills including ability to read, comprehend, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the public. Spanish communication skills.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CERTIFICATIONS: Fleet Management, Maintenance Technology a plus. Commercial license is also a big plus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; use hands to finger, handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance for long periods of time on concrete floors; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
We are a drug free & alcohol-free work environment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential function.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes, or airborne particles, and outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and dirty. Required to put on protective outfits, like gloves, safety footwear, and hardhat.