Apex Systems, the Nation's 2nd largest Technical Staffing and Services Firm, has an opening for a NOC Engineer with the fifth-largest wireless telecommunications network company location in Schaumburg, IL
• Experience working in a NOC environment and understanding that it is a 24/7
• NNOC experience related to Data Networks
• NNOC experience related to wireless (Mobile service) networks
Software & Systems criteria/highlights:
• Exfo (Ethernet testing tool)
• Netcool (Fault Management System)
• Vendor-specific Operating systems: Nokia, Ericson, Cisco, Juniper
• Ticketing system: Remedy; experience with BMC Smart System is a plus
• End to end VoLTE & LTE network experience is a plus
• Dispatch tool: experience with OFSC (Oracle Service Cloud) is a plus
• Functional and working knowledge of Microsoft Windows and MS Office suite: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
• Creation of Change Request tickets, which require data lookup and interpretation of high-level impact based on telco/vendor emails.
Soft Skills criteria/highlights:
• The candidate needs excellent planning and organizational skills
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment is a must.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to communicate effectively with co-workers in all areas of the company and with outside vendors is required.
• Must be very detail oriented with a strong focus on accuracy, completeness, and timeliness.
• Management of trouble tickets, which include ticket follow-ups and notations.
• Participate in available technical and personal development opportunities.
• Hourly Position is requiring shift work to support 7x24x365 operation - must be flexibility in work schedule (hours and days) required - Weekend hours required.
Business & Industry criteria/highlights:
• Functional understandings of business operations switch locations, phone features, and services.
• General understanding of basic network operations and related terminology is preferred.
• Produce reports as needed or assigned.
• Provide support for special projects.
• Manage any particular assignment provided by NNOC leadership, such as documentation creation, process verification, or other NNOC based support services.
• Some travel may be required.
The NOC Tech will be working on multiple CDMA/VoLTE/LTE networks event and customer issues related to network outages at the same time. They are required to multi-task and prioritize these events to ensure minimal impact to the customer experience.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
This is a list of essential duties and critical responsibilities that this position must be able to effectively and efficiently execute.
Monitor Nortel and Lucent switch platforms, CDMA/TDMA cellular systems, LTE and VoLTE environments, Tekelec STP, associated microwave systems, data network elements, and private branch exchanges and document alarm indications.
Identify, acknowledge, and document alarm indications received at the monitoring panel.
Interface with the Data Service Department, Technical Support, Systems Support, Customer Services, Roamer Support, and various field regional offices by providing communications, documentation, and customer service assistance.
Utilizing network management tools to ensure proper cellular service functionality within equipment and remote facilities.
Run routine, entry-level diagnostic commands to identify fault conditions.
Respond to request for assistance for Field Personnel and various CLIENT departments where applicable and assist with service restoration based on alarm conditions.
Monitor circuits to the Public Switch Telephone Network (PSTN) and cell site equipment for proper maintenance levels of service, advise cellular technicians and network field engineers when alarm conditions exist or service may be required.
When field notification is made, coordinate repair activities with Network Field Engineers concerning MTSO and/or associated cell site equipment problems and assist with problem resolution Execute appropriate network management hardware/ software controls.
Document and maintain ongoing system trouble reports in NCC Trouble Ticket System (Remedy) Provide entry level support to the US Cellular Cell Technicians, Field and Switch Engineers and other ancillary systems.
Apex Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate or allow discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, genetic information, registered domestic partner status, marital status, disability, status as a crime victim, protected veteran status, political affiliation, union membership, or any other characteristic protected by law. Apex will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable law. If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation in using our website for a search or application, please contact our Employee Services Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 844-463-6178.