Synthekine is a biotechnology company focused on discovery and developing best in class cytokine therapeutics to treat cancer and autoimmune diseases. The company was founded by Dr. Chris Garcia, Stanford University Professor and Howard Hughes Medical investigator. Synthekine is based on our unique insights on how cytokines bind to their receptors and how these systems can be tuned though ligand engineering. Synthekine was formed in 2019 and has raised its Series A venture capital round from Canaan Partners, Samsara Biocapital, and The Column Group, three leading Bay Area biotech venture funds. The company is based in Menlo Park, CA and has built integrated research, manufacturing, and in-vivo pharmacology capabilities.
Synthekine is advancing a deep pipeline that includes several preclinical programs, including biased versions of Interleukin-2 and Interferon Gamma. These cytokines have been tuned to decouple anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory activity at the molecular level, a differentiated approach to developing selective therapeutics. In addition to these pre-clinical products, Synthekine is founded on multiple therapeutic platforms, including a platform that allows for non-natural pairing of cytokine receptors, potentially resulting in novel biology and unique therapeutics.
The Senior Director, Business Development will be responsible for the identification, evaluation, diligence and execution of strategic alliances and licensing agreements across a broad spectrum of therapeutic applications and geographies. This individual will be the deal lead for buy-side and sell-side strategic partnering transactions. The Senior Director will help to refine Synthekine's business development strategy, identify and evaluate potential collaboration opportunities and negotiate agreements that meet the company's objectives and those of its partners. The Senior Director in close collaboration with Synthekine's executive leadership team will be responsible for building and implementation of the long-range business development strategy and associated business development processes. This will require effective cross functional leadership and collaboration to ensure alignment with key internal stakeholders, beginning with the search and evaluation process through deal negotiation and closure. It will also include developing a significant external network with key industry leaders in pharma, biotech, academia and VCs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with senior leadership, formulate the vision, strategy, business plan and support requirements necessary to pursue major strategic deals, partnerships and platforms collaborations in support of Synthekine's long term goals.
- Identify, lead and execute on transformative pharmaceutical collaborations with Synthekine platform or pipeline
- Coordinate presentations, due diligence activities, and negotiations across multiple functional areas including Research, Clinical, Regulatory, Manufacturing, Finance and Legal.
- Establish and maintain excellent relationships with counterparts in external organizations and well as colleagues within Synthekine
- Present and debate business rationale, analyses and proposals to senior executives; interface with senior management to reach decisions.
- Integrate and summarize scientific, clinical, financial, and market information; manage the development of the business case and overall assessment of the transaction.
- Enhance the Company's pipeline/portfolio through the identification of acquisition, partnering and licensing opportunities across strategic research areas, market segments, and/or geographies.
- Lead scientific diligence teams to support in bound deal evaluation
- Draft term sheets and review contracts to support deal structuring and negotiation
Qualifications and Education:
- Minimum of ten years business development experience at a biotech and/or pharmaceutical company
- Ph.D., MD, MBA, JD or other advanced degree is preferred
- A successful, documented track record of leading and executing transactions with emphasis on pharmaceutical/biopharmaceutical in-licensing, collaborations and strategic alliances is essential
- Strong contract negotiation and financial modeling skills
- Significant knowledge in all aspects of business development, including conceptualization, negotiation, and contracting of licensing, financing, M&A transactions, as well as due diligence and screening capabilities.
- Strong analytical skills with advanced understanding of valuation and return on investment analysis in the pharmaceutical industry
- Experience driving complex strategy projects with diverse stakeholder groups
- Deep understanding of the drug discovery and development process and broad knowledge of the biopharmaceutical industry including historical transactions and significant alliances. Well networked with strong relationships across industry and academia.
- Ability to establish and maintain credibility with internal and external scientific and business experts.
- Well-developed internal partnering skills to interface and collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams.
- Results oriented with excellent analytical, strategic, business planning, and teamwork/collaboration skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence and work successfully with varied audiences (colleagues, senior leaders, biotechnology and pharmaceutical partners, financial institutions and customers)
- Decisive; comfortable with ambiguity around assessing new business opportunities; risk taking orientation
- Willingness to travel up to 30%
- Strong communication and leadership skills, including the ability to influence
- Energetic and resourceful self-starter
- Team player comfortable in fast moving dynamic environment
We fully understand the many unique requirements and success profile of each assignment we accept-and we only accept searches we can fill.
Posting ID: 564755290Posted: 2020-08-09