Control Room Operator
Location: Tonopah, Nevada (Located in the high desert, a small town with population of approximately 2600 people. Must be comfortable with living in a very small town with limited amenities.)
The Control Room Operator reports to and implements the directives of the O&M Manager. The Control Room Operator is responsible for all operational aspects of the plant during his shift, including personnel and equipment safety. The Control Room Operator ensures safe and efficient start-up, operation, and shutdown of the solar receiver, steam generator, steam turbine generator, and balance of plant equipment from inside the control room. The position reports to the Shift Supervisor. The Control Room Operator fosters a team spirit by coordinating Solar Field Department activities. The Control Room Operator also performs any other tasks or assignments delegated by the Plant Manager or as determined by the needs of the company.
- Perform safe and efficient operation of the receiver, steam generator, steam turbine generator, and related auxiliary systems from the control room using the plant’s Distributive Control System (DCS) and other available controls and indications.
- Coordinate with Load Dispatcher to maintain plant MW output as directed and in accordance with the Power Purchase Agreement.
- Perform start-up, operation, and shutdown of equipment, systems, and the plant in accordance with approved plant procedures.
- Monitor and record plant operating parameters inside the control room; make adjustments as required to maintain safe and efficient operation of the plant.
- Upon detecting faulty equipment operation, diagnose the cause then take proper action to restore the equipment and plant to a safe condition. This includes stopping equipment and switching to standby equipment if required and available.
- Monitor plant air and water emissions and take steps to maintain within acceptable limits. Immediately notify Shift Supervisor of abnormal situations, including those that may result in violation of regulatory requirements.
- Direct the actions of the Auxiliary Operator as required to start-up, operate, shutdown, and respond to abnormal situations from outside the control room.
- Provide periodic reports to the Shift Supervisor regarding plant status.
- Observe, report, troubleshoot, and correct situations that are likely to develop into operational problems or safety hazards.
- Report and respond to chemical spills and leaks in accordance with plant emergency response plans.
- Monitor and operate equipment circuit breakers and switches as required for safe and efficient operation of the plant. This includes opening, locking, and tagging for isolation and maintenance.
- Monitor, maintain, and verify proper chemistry control of steam generator water, feedwater, cooling water, condensate, condensate makeup, and wastewater.
- Obtain thorough turnover from Control Room Operator being relieved, including special orders and unusual operating conditions. Review operating logs and inspect plant controls and indications.
- Give thorough turnover to the relieving Control Room Operator for special orders and unusual operating conditions.
- Perform tests on critical safety systems, as directed, including lube oil pumps, turbine valves, turbine system trips, boiler trips and permissives.
- Test and operate plant fire and chemical safety equipment as directed.
- Perform and direct equipment isolation in accordance with plant lockout/tagout procedures.
- Maintain work area in a clean, orderly condition.
- Participate in scheduled safety meetings and training.
- Assist in training of subordinate personnel.
- Perform minor maintenance as directed during scheduled and unscheduled maintenance periods.
- Safely operate vehicles on-site as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Shift Supervisor.
- Perform routine maintenance when plant is not operating.
Education, Experience, Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- 12 years formal education (High School Graduate).
- Experience in boiler start-up, operation, and shutdown from inside and outside the control room, using local controls and the Distributive Control System (DCS).
- Experience in steam turbine generator start-up, operation, and shutdown from inside and outside the control room, using local controls and the Distributive Control System (DCS).
- Experience in Balance of Plant systems start-up, operation, and shutdown from inside and outside the control room, using local controls and the Distributive Control System (DCS).
- Thorough knowledge of equipment isolation and tagging procedures.
- Experience responding to plant abnormal situations, alarms, and emergencies.
- Thorough knowledge of the location, purpose and proper use of the plant safety equipment.
- Experience aligning, switching, isolating, and paralleling electrical equipment and systems.
- Experience using basic hand tools.
- Experience performing basic plant maintenance.
- A minimum of 3 years of progressive supervisory experience.
- Experience in the use of personal computers and numerous software applications such as Excel, Word, MS Outlook, PowerPoint, Access, etc.
- Ability to productively work independently and as an overall integral team member.
- Must have strong communication skills and the ability to effectively organize and facilitate process teams.
- Ability to understand complex contractual issues as they relate to plant operations and maintenance.
- Ability to handle quick changing situations under stress and to work extended hours on short notice if and when required.
- Knowledge of reading and interpreting P&IDs, and electrical one-line, schematic, and logic diagrams.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply the basic principles of physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, heat transfer, fluid flow, and combustion.
- Knowledge of basic instrumentation and control concepts.
- Knowledge of electrical theory and how it is applied in a power plant environment.
- Knowledge of plant hazards and approaches to protecting both personnel and equipment.
- Knowledge of corporate and plant policies and regulations.
- Knowledge of general plant environmental regulations and compliance requirements.
- Knowledge of Power Purchase Agreements as they apply to the Control Room Operator’s job duties.
- Knowledge of fire and accident prevention techniques and methods of responding to fire and accidents in the plant.
- Knowledge of first aid and CPR.
- Knowledge of the flow paths, operating theory, requirements, and limitations of the boiler, steam turbine generator, auxiliaries, and all balance of plant systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of plant water treatment systems operating theory, requirements, and limitations including chemical feed equipment, demineralization system, water pretreatment equipment, and water quality control system.
- Knowledge of action required in case of a chemical spill or propane leak.
- Knowledge of the principles of equipment lubrication.
- Travel to other plant locations and to corporate will be required.
We are proud to offer competitive wages and benefits. Prior to beginning work, all applicants must be willing to submit to a drug and alcohol screen as well as a background check, inclusive of criminal. We seek out and employ talented individuals who meet the qualifications for each position. PIC Group, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Due to the large number of responses we receive to our postings, only those applicants with the required experience and qualifications will be contacted.
PIC Group, Inc., headquartered in Atlanta, GA and established in 1988, is a global provider of service solutions to the power generation industry. PICs comprehensive portfolio of services supports all aspects of power project development including installation, outage, start-up and commissioning, operations and maintenance, documentation and training, and project support. As of March 2008, PIC Group, Inc. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Marubeni Corporation, a publicly listed company headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. For more information on PIC Group, Inc. or Marubeni Corporation, visit www.picgroupinc.com or www.marubeni.com
Posting ID: 557847532Posted: 2020-07-03