This description is intended to outline the primary responsibilities, general nature and level of work being performed by teammates assigned to this position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and competencies of the Meat Manager. The incumbent may be assigned other duties and responsibilities.
To comply with Lowe's company policies, standards, security measures and regulations. Proper performance of the duties and responsibilities of this position contributes to and ensures achievement of proper Market conditions. Responsible for maintaining standards according to the market standard operating procedures. Maximizes store sales and profitability by ensuring the execution of promotional and merchandising programs in accordance with Lowe's policies and procedures. Serves as a model for customer service and other vital behaviors, and instills this value in all teammates. Creates an environment for continual learning and encourages an open dialogue among teammates. Provides leadership and motivation within the store to promote a culture reflective of Lowe's guiding principles, core values, and vision.
• Order and maintains inventory control to ensure freshness, product quality and turnover for maximum sales.
• Review financial and operating results to determine where the meat department stands relative to budgeted
sales, expenses, and payroll.
• Make effective and objective decisions regarding operational choices in work procedures. Oversee inventory
of the meat department, new product purchases, scheduling and other situations where multiple factors must
be considered and weighed to maximize operating results.
• Control level of damaged and spoiled/out of date products and ensures proper disposition of same according
to company policy.
• Ensure that all teammates are courteous to customers and that requests, and complaints are handled
promptly and courteously.
• Assess staffing needs; interviews and hires market teammates and ensures market teammates are able to
identify and hire qualified candidates to meet the staffing needs; coordinates with the store manager/market
• Terminates poor performing teammates when required.
• Check and verify that meat received, to ensure that listed on vendor invoices items are delivered, check
product for quality, count or weight and conditions and all boxes are dated.
• Communicate and coordinate with Store Manager to provide feedback from the store.
• Follow approved procedures for receiving product, pricing, marking and restocking cases to ensure quality
protection, accuracy and product rotation.
• Implement and follow department merchandising plan.
• Responsible for training department teammates.
• Interface with manufacturer's and sales representatives; evaluate vendor promotions in accordance with
company policy to select and purchase those products that provide savings benefits with a goal of increasing
sales, inventory turnover and customer traffic in the store.
• Conduct department walks in accordance with Management Awareness. Ensures that all Assistant Managers
are trained to conduct department walks in accordance with Management Awareness.
• Responsible for efficient and effective delegation of duties to achieve maximum performance of teammates
including proper follow-up to assure satisfactory performance.
• Responsible for maintaining signs, pricing, refrigerated cases and display shelves, by implementing scheduled
inspections of those areas.
• Responsible for informing, training and motivating department teammates and to implement disciplinary
actions when required to correct behavior that involves policy violations or actions that have an adverse effect
on the meat department operating performance or may potentially have such effects on the store or its
• Responsible for department compliance of company policies, programs, procedures and guidelines, S.O.P. (
Standard Operating Procedures )checklist are done weekly.
• Keep work area maintained appropriately to ensure a safe work environment for teammates and customers.
• Must be able to perform other duties.
• Must be able to unload trucks, breakdown load and stock product.
• Work with department teammates to identify the root causes of issues and inefficiencies.
• Constantly interacts with teammates to ensure that all teammates understands Lowe's expectations.
• Constantly interacts with customers.
• Ensure that all Management Awareness policies and goals are maintained at all times in the meat department.
• Adhere to all compliance of company policies, programs, procedures and guidelines.
• Work with teammates to identify the root causes of issues and inefficiencies.
Training and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent required. College background preferred. 5 years experience in the meat department operations. Completion of a management training program or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
Knowledge of various cuts and types of meat products and recommended uses or cooking methods. knowledge and ability to operate meat department equipment. Ability to read and write English. Good customer relations skills. Ability to calculate gross margins and retail prices. Ability to manage effectively. Must be able to follow directions from Management.
Licenses, Registration and Certification:
Constant exposure to refrigerated cutting rooms and storage areas. Constant exposure to high humidity. Occasional exposure to frozen food storage with temperatures as low as 20 degrees below zero. Works on wet or slippery surfaces. Noise level normally moderate. Can be extreme when power tools or other equipment are in use. Subject to hazards when operating meat cutting equipment. Subject to communicable disease.
Heavy work- exerting 50-100 pounds of force occasionally, and 25-50 pounds of force frequently, and/or in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking and/ or standing up to a significant degree. Must be able to climb, stand, bend, push or pull, twist, grasp, squeeze, stoop, kneel, squat, reach, handle, finger and feel. Must be able to read small letters and dates on meat items. Subject to psychological stress.