This is the job description for EXEC SOUS CHEFS
Job Title: Executive Sous Chef
Company: Dimension Development
Reports To: General Manager
Supervises: Sous Chef
Job Description Date: May 1, 2014
Job Purpose: Assist Executive Chef and replace in absence. Manage kitchen and personnel, coordinate purchase of food, develop menus, calculate monthly transfers, and maintain approved food and labor costs.
1. Position will be responsible for the kitchen in Executive Chef's absence.
2. Prepare production lists concerning food cost controls and supervise requisitioning of food to prevent
stockpiling and losses due to spoilage; actively supervise buffets, buffet presentation and showpieces.
3. Assist with building and maintaining in-house menu specifications and maintain appropriate menu and
4. Recommend hiring, separation and issuance of disciplinary action as required.
5. Establish economical methods of preparation for cooking & portioning standards & oversee all cooking
6. Oversee preparation of foods, bear responsibility for final food product served, physical working conditions,
kitchen tools and equipment. Responsible for hygiene, safety and sanitary conditions for back-of-the-house.
7. Coordinate inter-departmental correspondence and communications with regard to food department.
8. Keep abreast of culinary market - involvement in professional organizations & education of externs &
9. In absence of the Executive Chef, supervise standardization of all recipes, costs and procedures controlling
food transfers and issues. Generate credit documents for accounting purposes.
10. Provide for individual dietary/nutritional requirements. Assist sales and catering coordinators in culinary
11. Assist in annual budgeting process.
12. Other duties as assigned.
1. Must be able to "prep" food products, using standardized food preparation techniques.
2. Apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with concrete variables in situations
where only limited standardization exists. Interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or
3. Compute discount, interest, profit & loss; commission, markups & selling price; ratio & proportion, and
percentages. Calculate surface, volumes, weights and measures.
4. Read and understand instructions, safety rules, etc. Write reports with proper format, punctuation, spelling,
and grammar, using all parts of speech. Speak with poise, voice control, and confidence, using correct
5. Determine time, place, sequence of operation/action to take; Supervise by determining/interpreting
procedures for a group of workers, assigning specific duties, maintaining harmonious relations and promoting
Education Certification of culinary training or Culinary Arts Degree. Apprenticeship and/or AOS Degree.
Experience Minimum 3 to 5 years in a supervisory position; 8 -10 years in Kitchen operation. Prefer Level-4 hotel experience as Banquet Chef and Sous Chef. Experience working all stations, banquets, managing labor & food costs; OR an equivalent level of education and experience.
Interview, select and train associates
Set and adjust associates' rates of pay and hours of work
X Direct the work of associates
X Appraise associates' productivity & efficiency to recommend promotions or other changes in status
X Handle associate complaints
X Discipline associates
X Plan the work
X Determine the techniques to be used
X Apportion the work among associates
X Determine materials, supplies, machinery, equipment or tools to be used or merchandise to be bought,
stocked & sold
X Control the flow and distribution of materials or merchandise and supplies
X Provide for the safety and security of the employees or the property
X Plan and control the budget
X Monitor or implement legal compliance measures
X Customarily and regularly direct the work of at least 2 or more full-time associates or their equivalent (1 full-
time associate at 40 and 2 half-time associates at 20 hours each, are equivalent to 2 full-time associates).
X Authority to hire or fire other associates, or makes suggestions and recommendations as to the hiring, firing ,
advancement, promotion or any other change of status of other associates are given particular weight.
Discretion & Independent Judgment:
Does this position have authority to formulate, affect, interpret, or implement management policies or operating practices? Yes, assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
Does this position have authority to commit the employer in matters that have significant financial impact? Yes, assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
Does this position have authority to waive or deviate from established policies and procedures without prior approval? No
Does this position have authority to negotiate and bind the company on significant matters? Yes, assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
Is this position involved in planning long or short-term business objectives? No
Does this position represent the company in handling complaints, arbitrating disputes or resolving grievances? Yes, maintains harmonious relations among a group of workers.
Does this position have authority to make an independent choice, free from immediate direction or supervision or make decisions or recommendations that may occasionally be reviewed, revised or reversed? Yes, assumes responsibility for kitchen in absence of Executive Chef.
Physical Requirements: Indicate requirements that are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Working Conditions: Indicate the environmental aspects of the job.
Ability to speak and hear. Close and distance vision. Frequent sitting with some walking and standing. Frequently lifts/carries up to 10 lbs. Continual use of manual dexterity and gross motor skills with frequent use of bi-manual dexterity and fine motor skills. Continually works in normal office conditions and in close proximity to others.
Additional physical & visual requirements Additional working conditions
X Identify and distinguish colors Outdoor weather conditions
X Stand for long periods of time X Extreme cold (non-weather)
X Walk extended distances X Extreme heat (non-weather)
X Lift/carry 6-25 lbs. X Wet or humid conditions
Lift/carry 26-50 lbs. X Near moving or mechanical parts
Lift/carry over 50 lbs. On high precarious places
Reach hands and arms in any direction With fumes or airborne particles
Kneel and/or stoop repeatedly Near toxic or caustic chemicals
X Able to work overtime and irregular hours X Near risk of electrical shock
X Near loud noises