REPORTS TO: Controller
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
POSITION TYPE: Full-Time
The Operations Manager will be responsible for the daily operations, efficiency, and overall profitability of the organization. The qualified candidate will look for new opportunities to further grow the operation, developing and implementing programs to ensure efficient and cost-effective operations as well as identifying and executing innovative plans to increase company utilization and revenue.
The Operations Manager provides leadership and direction to the dispatch staff, company drivers, and Independent Contractors. This person will have responsibilities that will include (but not limited to) hiring and developing staff, growing the business aggressively and profitably, and leading revenue growth, with the guidance and mentoring of senior management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Perform day to day accounting tasks and maintain the accuracy and efficiency of the department. The duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Establish and maintain a training program that ensures that all team members are trained and competent and understand how their work relates to our customers' business objectives
- Recruit, hire, train, develop and retain quality team members.
- Establish and support effective, two-way communication that informs and motivates as well as recognizes excellence among team members
- Establish and reinforce strong and effective relationships with team members and customers.
- Understand customer key performance metrics and objectives and develop strategies to meet and exceed the objectives
- Interact daily with local customers to ensure existing and prospective customer needs are understood
- Strong decision-making skills with the ability to communicate effectively to a large workforce.
- Foster an entrepreneurial spirit and strong work ethic with the ability to demand more than the status quo.
- Invest in team member relationships in a supportive manner to ensure a positive work environment that fosters team member retention.
- Lead the team to identify operational improvements in areas such as route optimization, carrier selection, backhauls, and fleet efficiency.
- Develop a balanced approach that promotes safety, service, driver success and asset utilization.
- Ability to analyze data timely, efficiently, effectively, and multi-task projects and assignments simultaneously.
- Lead the operation with integrity while understanding business plan targets and develop strategies to meet financial goals.
- Identify issues with the operating metrics and P&L and make recommendations and/or adjustments in a timely manner
- Understand and control cost structure to ensure a high level of profitability. Set measurable goals and develop Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s).
- Lead a culture of safety through personal example
- Ensure that all work activities are performed with the highest safety standards and strive for continuous improvement.
- Proactively identify and correct unsafe conditions, work processes, and behaviors
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulatory agencies, company policies and procedures in conjunction with the Director of Safety.
- Coach team members through safety observations
- Growth/Customer Experience
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement and challenge the status quo
- Identify and seize profitable business opportunities while providing solutions for the customer
- Negotiate rates with agents and customers taking into consideration market, capacity and location when considering and agreeing to price for service.
- Work to support the service and growth of new and existing accounts
- Resolve customer service issues that arise.
- Establish solid business relationships and maintain open, accurate and timely two-way communications with drivers and internal team members.
- Lead effort to improve fleet/equipment utilization, maintenance availability and fuel efficiency
- Contribute to equipment specification for power units, trailers and related equipment.
- Build a strong working relationship with local equipment vendors and Maintenance Director
- Other projects and tasks as assigned from time to time.
REQUIREMENTS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Logistics and or related fields.
- 8-10 years of work experience in transportation and third-party logistics, operations and/or customer facing role.
- 5 years of experience in leadership/management role.
- Solid understanding of transportation and logistics principles, economics, and supply chain network behavior.
- Keen interest in team-oriented approach to managing customer’s needs.
- Knowledge of Transportation industry.
- Outstanding leadership abilities including problem solving, interpersonal communications,
goal orientation, teaching/coaching, self-discipline and systemic thinking.
- Excellent communications skills; presentation, interpersonal, verbal and written.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Customer service/interaction skills and experience.
- Computer Proficiency.
- Problem solving skills; ability to use good business judgment and make decisions.
- Flexibility to adapt to a fast paced and changing environment.
Willingness to travel.
Posting ID: 584642572Posted: 2020-11-04