White’s Residential and Family Services
Job Title: Houseparent
Department: Residential Services
Employment Status: Full-time/ Regular/ Non-Exempt
Qualifications: This person must be 21 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent. The regular houseparent must function as a positive role model for residents.
Reports to: Residential Coordinator
Scope: Houseparents can help youth learn to function in a home-like setting. By example and teaching, Houseparents can offer; healthy values, a safe and secure structured environment, and opportunities for relationship building. Houseparents will work as a full member of a treatment team for cottage of residents. Must demonstrate sensitivity to our service population’s cultural and socioeconomic characteristics and needs.
- Provide clear consistent cottage rules and daily routines for residents through the use of the phase system. Supervise student daily tasks/ activities; chores, laundry, homework, meal times, chapel, recreation, athletic games, etc.
- Work with treatment team members and general staff to develop, implement, and review residents' treatment plans and quarterly reports.
- Counsel residents: social skills, interpersonal relationships, personal hygiene, domestic skills, work habits, etc.
- Work with families of residents: demonstrates acceptance of families, has open and regular communication, and provides counseling when appropriate.
- Provide basic first aid for residents and keep necessary records of residents' medical needs. Apply universal precautions procedures when exposed to bodily fluids. Accompany residents to medical appointments when necessary.
- Keep cottage clean and do routine cottage maintenance (reports all major maintenance problems).
- Provide recreation/activities for residents and walk residents to various campus facilities.
- Oversee youth completing their laundry.
- Engage in conflict resolution, intervene in crisis situations, and physically restrain residents when necessary.
- Perform administrative functions: daily reports, requisitions, clothing records, student checkbooks, etc.
- Attend staff meetings, training, review boards, etc.
- Prepare meals for cottage as needed. (Sunday night, breakfast daily, and when cafeteria is closed.
- Complete other duties as required by the Coordinator.
Skill, Supervision, Knowledge, and Ability
- This position requires a person to work independently. Houseparents must be; organized, at work on time, willing to work extra, and able to take on extra job responsibilities.
- This person needs to enjoy working with other staff members and have the ability to get along in a community type environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Must be open to different styles of intervening with residents. Express a willingness to be involved in training and learning new ways to deal with residents.
- This person must demonstrate the needed skills to work with residents: relationship building, structured, flexible, communication, assertiveness, genuineness, patience, and composure in crisis situations.
- Must be able to maintain professional boundaries and confidentiality.
- Must be committed to the Mission, Core Values, and Vision of White’s Residential and Family Services.
Physical Demands of Position
- Must be able to be on feet for extended periods of time, do significant walking and actively supervise cottage recreation.
- Able to perform routine cottage maintenance and cleaning, planting flowers, painting, scrubbing floors, etc.
- Apply the MindSet physical restraint techniques for residents who are in crisis (expected to meet the requirements of MindSet physical restraints).
- Must have energy and stamina to work from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. on a regular basis.
- Work days will be scheduled on a two work cycle. The 50%/183 day schedule has a 2 week rotating schedule where one week requires 48 hours and the next 64 hours for an average of 56 hours weekly.
- Attend work regularly and be on time.
- Flexibility in taking days off may be necessary.
- Will work holidays as scheduled.
Posting ID: 506428237Posted: 2020-05-28