POSITION: TECHNICAL AND OPERATIONS DIRECTOR
REPORTS TO: GENERAL MANAGER
FLSA STATUS: EXEMPT
ASM Global, the world's leading venue management and services company, has an excellent and immediate opening for the position of Technical and Operations Director - ASM Global/ Capital One Hall. Under general direction of the General Manager the position serves as the Senior Production and Operations member of the facility and supervises all Back of House and Front of House full-time and part-time personnel in the delivery of services to users, clients and visitors. Additionally, this position oversees and manages all stage productions at Capital One Hall including but not limited to Main Hall, Black Box, Rooftop Amphitheatre and all Technical aspects of Food and Beverage functions in various areas of the Complex.
Capital One Hall is a multi-venue theater complex presently under construction at Capital One Center, located on the campus of Capital One headquarters in Fairfax County in the Commonwealth of Virginia. Capital One Hall features a 1600 seat performance hall, a 250 seat black box, a rooftop park encompassing a 200 seat amphitheater and an authentic Biergarten. The venue encompasses a spectacular Grand Lobby and Terrace, both spaces perfect for unique performances, pre-show activities, smaller musical acts, corporate gatherings and social events. This extraordinary, state of the art facility is located directly off the silver Metro line making it easily accessible locally and out of Washington D.C. proper. The anticipated performance season will run 12 months a year and will host a diverse, eclectic mix of entertainment including live music concerts, comedic acts, festivals and will proudly host many Fairfax County theatrical and symphonic groups including but not limited to organizations such as the Fairfax Symphony Orchestra, Washington West Film Festival and Ravel Dance.
Capital One Hall is owned by Capital One and will open in the Fall of 2021 and will be managed by ASM Global, a Los Angeles based company and a world leader in facility management who will operate this extraordinary complex in the best interest of its client, Capital One.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates and supervises in-house crew, stage labor and other technicians (including those not in the direct employ of the facility) manages all on stage productions at Capital One Hall including advancing shows, providing event estimates and producing the events on show day.
- Manages all in-house operations and production personnel to fulfill technical rider requirements and front of house staffing needs
- Oversees and/or manages all performance related systems, IT components and Physical Plant of the complex in cooperation with outside vendors.
- Implements and updates Capital One Hall Operation and Production rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Handles booking of crew for events.
- Coordinates the Operations activities with other departments as well as event and non-event related contractors to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events, including ADA compliance.
- Supervises setup and changeover for the Complex
- Manages all Public Safety, Security, Custodial Service and Parking needs for the Venue
- Oversees work schedules and payroll for Operations and Production labor
- Coordinates the budgeting, purchasing and scheduling of stage equipment repair and maintenance.
- Develops, maintains and adheres to departmental budgets
- Assists in developing Annual Capital Budgets for the Facility recommends a capital plans for repairs and improvements to the facility.
- Coordinates the operational activities with other departments and event related contractors to assure facility readiness and smooth operation of events
- Implements and updates facility rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Provides clear, concise, and timely communication of directives to other departments
- Support maintenance efforts of the Physical Plant
- Provides yearly inventory of all equipment
- Investigates, analyzes and resolves operational problems and complaints
- Negotiates with vendors, unions, contractors and/or service providers, promoters and Artist's representatives.
- Develops and implement preventive maintenance schedules, emergency procedures, safety and Risk Management policies in compliance with all Corporate and governmental regulations
- Coordinates and monitors special projects, such as construction, remodeling or expansion. Plans and directs outside vendors/contractors work to assure compliance with contracts and safety requirements
- Adheres to ASM/SMG's reporting policies
Directly supervises production, crew, security, front of house and related event staffing. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with ASM Global's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; disciplining employees in conjunction with Human Resources; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Experienced in direct advancing, facilitation, and executing of multiple performance genres including but not limited to: Broadway, Orchestral/Symphonic, Dance, Theater, Film ,Rock/Popular, Festivals, Broadcast and corporate events.
- Strong background in all areas of Production and Operations and must be technically savvy in all areas of stage related technical equipment
- Ability to support the installation and purchasing of sound and light equipment.
- General knowledge of Facility physical plant operations including HVAC, electrical, plumbing and IT
- Be familiar with the principles and techniques of managing front of house and back of house operations and staffing related issues.
- Background in developing departmental budgets including capital expenditures for an Entertainment venue
- Oversee OSHA standards and training.
- Meet the physical demands of the job which include being able to get in and around the facility (requires personal mobility), lifting, carrying, moving, climbing, working from various heights and moderate to loud noises.
- Work effectively under pressure and/or stringent schedule and produce accurate results
- Organize and prioritize work to meet deadlines.
- Remain flexible and adjust to situations as they occur.
- Follow oral and written instructions and communicate effectively with others in both oral and written form.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Arts Management or related technical training with a minimum of 8 years' experience with production management in an entertainment organization club, theater, arena or equivalent.
- Proficiency in sound and/or lighting design preferred as well as operation of the newest technology.
- Minimum of 5 years supervisory experience required.
- Touring experience a plus
- Experience with advancing production and working directly with world class artists.
- CAD experience a plus.
- Knowledge of OSHA guidelines and training experience.
- Experience with front of house venue security, ushers, and patron management
- Experience creating Security and Emergency Management Programs. (SEMP)
Skills and Abilities
- Organization of production for a multi venue facility.
- Superior negotiation skills
- Ability to create a positive work environment.
- Ability to problem solve quickly and effectively.
- Trade skills a plus, (electrical, plumbing, rigging, etc.)
Certificate, Licenses, Registrations
- Must be licensed and insured to operate a motor vehicle in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- ESTA Certification a plus
Proficient in Microsoft Office and equivalent venue management software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to move around the facility; to stand for long hours during events; occasionally required to kneel, climb to high walkways or balance. Must have the ability to communicate effectively during a strenuous schedule.
This position may require work inside or outside of the building, and work in adverse conditions as needed by events. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The essential responsibilities of this position are described under the headings above. They may be subject to change at any time due to reasonable accommodation or other reasons. Also, this document in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position.
**** TO APPLY ****** YOU MUST APPLY THROUGH THE BELOW LINK
Send Cover letter, resume and any supporting materials or past event photos to:
ASM Global is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, and encourages Women, Minorities, Individuals with Disabilities, and protected Veterans to apply. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.