The Legal Assistant will be exposed to a wide variety of legal issues and subject matter handled by the in-house legal department at the corporate headquarters of Kingston Technology. The Assistant will support other members of the Legal Department with (1) administrative functions, (2) business legal research, (3) special projects and (4) other duties as assigned or required.
Due to the sensitive nature of the work, the Legal Assistant must possess good judgment, exhibit discretion and trustworthiness, and able to maintain strict confidentiality.
· Coordinate meeting times and schedules with Kingston personnel on projects.
· Communicate and coordinate information from the Legal Department to Kingston personnel on projects.
· Gather and confirm the information from Kingston personnel on projects. Ascertain and triangulate information and facts.
· Follow-up with Kingston personnel for information and documents related to the projects.
· Develop electronic library of company legal documents.
· File company legal documents.
· Make photocopies of sensitive documents for distribution.
· Prepare documents for mailing and courier pick-up, including delivering mail to the U.S. Postal Office for return receipt/registered mail.
· Deliver and pick up time-sensitive documents and packages to Kingston’s Buildings A, B, M and P; and to outside general counsel offices in Orange and Los Angeles Counties.
· Create PDF electronic files from scanning legal documents, including agreements, invoices, applications filings, letters and other documents.
· Visit various Consulate offices in Los Angeles, California in order to authenticate documents on matters related to corporate activities, anti-counterfeit efforts and export / imported problems.
· Assist in managing trademark application filings, monitoring trademark application process, coordinating communications between internal Kingston business personnel and attorney, following up on documentation process, organizing documentation in electronic and paper files, updating trademark status worksheet.
· Assist in managing patent application filings, monitoring patent application process, coordinating communications between internal Kingston patent applicants and attorney, following up on documentation process, organizing documentation in electronic and paper files, updating patent status worksheet.
Business Legal Research
· Assist in collecting background information on certain matters for the Legal Department.
· Conduct research on certain matters by visiting local retail electronics stores.
· Represent Legal Department at certain company internal meetings.
· Prepare memos and reports on research findings.
· Develop expertise on certain issues important to the Company. Such issues may include specialized knowledge in matters related to trademark applications, trade (export and import), influencer marketing, etc.
· Review legal agreements for background knowledge and to gain an understanding of Kingston’s business, and develop the expertise to assume higher-level responsibilities in the future.
· Monitor Trademark Worldwide Watch services and report, as necessary, to Kingston’s outside attorneys for further action.
· Oversee deposition preparation logistics, including reserving a meeting room, ensuring the meeting room contains a telephone, projector, projection screen, whiteboard, whiteboard markers, Wi-Fi internet access, stationary, tables, chairs, air-conditioning. Coordinate the meeting schedule, arrange for breakfast, lunch, dinner and beverages; clean up room after meeting; and return stationery and food / beverages to the appropriate department. Must be prepared to work on evenings and weekends, and to use personal vehicle for transporting food. The company will reimburse for mileage and other work-related expenses.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
· Bachelor’s degree or relevant work experience
· Strong verbal and written communication skills required
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
· Ability to take direction, follow instructions and execute
· Ability to perform multiple tasks and prioritize work in in a fast changing and challenging environment
· Ability to conduct thorough on-line research
· Must be a team player but able to work independently
· Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
· The Legal Assistants are representing the Legal Department. They will interface with almost every department within Kingston. As such, a high degree of professionalism is required.