Metro Psychology - MPE Billing Company, LLCShiftSchedule
Full-time Thank you for considering a career at Mercy HealthLISW (Social Worker)GENERAL SUMMARY:
Under minimal supervision of department head, according to established practice and professional standards, performs advanced patient care duties and provide clinical treatment necessary for the most complex cases and/or the most specialized areas in the health care setting. Responsible for assisting patients and their families with the resolution of personal and environmental problems which prohibit or limit patient from obtaining maximum benefits from medical care. Evaluates psycho-social functioning of patients and families, counsels them as necessary, and manages the discharge plan. Exchanges information with other health care professionals as well as representatives of outside agencies. Provides patient care to neonate, pediatric, adult and geriatric patients. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Must possess level of knowledge of counseling skills and services, hold a Master's degree in Social Work from an accredited graduate social work program accredited by the council on Social Work Education.
Must hold a license from the State of Ohio as a Licensed Independent Social Worker, or Licensed Professional Certified Counselor (LPCC), or establish eligibility and obtain said license as defined under Chapter 4757 of the Ohio Revised Code as a condition of employment.
Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to interact effectively with Hospital and agency health care professionals, and to interact with patients and families often during periods of stress.
Analytical abilities necessary to assess patient needs, to develop associated treatment modalities and to provide effective counseling and discharge planning.
Two years of post graduate job specific experience in order to a) acquire diagnostic interviewing skills, b) acquire counseling skills and techniques, c) become familiar with local agencies and facilities, d) learn to develop adequate discharge plans, and e) acquire suitable interpersonal and analytical skills.
Experience working with a variety of populations and ages.
Experience in individual, group and family counseling, as well as patient education. May require experience with mental health and chemical dependency issues. WORKING CONDITIONS:
Works in office or patient-care environment, or other as appropriate.
The nature of the job requires on-call responsibilities in some areas. LEADERSHIP RESPONSIBILITY:
Provides direction to BSW or LPC/office staff as assigned. Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Performs social work duties necessary to ensure the proper handling of the most complex cases and/or most specialized areas including the use of clinical treatment techniques.
2. Conducts diagnostic interviews with patients and families in order to determine and evaluate a) the support system to which the patient will return upon discharge and b) the physical, emotional, and social history and current needs of patient/family in relation to his illness and coping abilities.
3. Refers patients and families to community agencies and organizations suitable to fulfill discharge plans and, it necessary, facilitates placement. Contacts these institution and informs them of patient needs, coordinates the discharge of medical and social information necessary to ensure continuity of care and manages the discharge plan.
4. Compiles a FORMAL psycho-social assessment, according to department protocol.
5. Provides counseling to patients and their families in order to assist them in the solution of medical-social, illness-related problems, e.g., adjusting to permanent disabilities, disfiguring illness, life-threatening illnesses, and so on.
6. Participates as a team member in patient conferences and physician rounds. Interprets the patient's psycho-social situation to team members and collaborates in developing an overall plan that takes into account the psycho-social ramifications of the illness.
7. Reviews patient/family care needs with the nursing staff of each nursing unit. Provides psycho-social data concerning patient's social and emotional needs and solicits in-put to patient assessment.
8. Identifies patients and/or families who may be deemed at-risk and in particular need of clinical intervention. Examples may include those a) whose pre-existing emotional problems or dysfunctional family transactions may interfere with medical care, b) who lack the flexibility and coping mechanisms to deal with the present situation, c) whose history indicates potential problems with respect to treatment adherence, d) who are in high-risk categories by diagnoses or age, e) potential actual abuse/neglect/domestic/violence/sexual assault.
9. Provides psycho-social intervention directly by means of individual, family and group therapy. Intervenes indirectly by means of facilitating referrals to other member of the health care team to intervene in ways congruent with the patient's psycho-social needs.
10. Establishes and maintains a cooperative working rapport with representatives of various community social agencies, extended care facilities, and other resources essential to effective post-discharge care, and manages the continuity of care issues.
11. May assist other department personnel in performance of their respective responsibilities by sharing professional knowledge and/or experiences relevant to a particular patient or situation.
12. Coordinates financial referrals and counsels patients and their families, informing them of various assistance programs and community resources, as appropriate.
13. Offers consultation as appropriate for patients who have been discharged or transferred.
14. *Consistently maintains department records and documents information concerning, patient counseling, discharge planning and other appropriate information in the patient chart, according to highest standards as defined by JCAHO and department policy. Compiles statistical reports and participates in quality assurance studies for Department use.
15. *May provide clinical supervision to staff who are not independently licensed (i.e. LSW and LPC).
16. May supervise the educational development and field work experience of undergraduate and graduate social work students from affiliated colleges and universities.
17. *May develop and conduct orientation programs for employees on the objectives, techniques and resources of the Department.
18. *Remains abreast of advances in the field of Social Work counseling by review of pertinent literature, inservice training, seminars, and discussion with peers. Remains current with community resources, federal and state social programs, insurance programs and criteria, etc. Serves as resource person for less senior staff.
19. *Assists in the evaluation of existing policies, procedures, and programs.
20. Adheres to the standards and policies of the Corporate Responsibility Program, including the duty to comply with applicable laws and regulations, and reporting to designated Manager (or employer hotline) any suspected unethical, fraudulent, or unlawful acts or practices.
21. Demonstrates knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served on assigned unit.
22. Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth & development over the life span by completing continuing education program.
23. Interprets information need to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs.
Neonate Pediatric Adolescent Adult Geriatric
24. Embraces Standards of Behavior in order to provide and promote excellent customer service for both internal and external customers. Holds self and others accountable for behaviors that promote service excellence.
25. Demonstrates behaviors consistent with Mission and Core Values (Compassion, Excellence, Human Dignity, Justice, Sacredness of Life, Service) of Mercy Health Partners.
26. Adheres to all standards and policies regarding safety/patient safety initiatives.
27. *Is responsible for all other duties as assigned.
*Indicates Non-Essential job functions.
Occasionally lifting up to 25-50 lbs
Frequent foot travel throughout the facility
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
We'll also reward your hard work with:
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
- Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
- Prescription drug coverage
- Flexible spending accounts
- Life insurance w/AD&D
- An employer-matched 403(b) for those who qualify.
- Paid time off
- Educational Assistance
- And much more
Metro Psychology - MPE Billing Company, LLC All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you'd like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for
Mercy Health - Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours - Ashland, Kentucky; Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia,which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please firstname.lastname@example.org.If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team email@example.com