Chief Financial Officer - Winston-Salem | Government Jobs page has loaded.
This listing closes on 8/23/2020 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada).
Depends on Qualifications
City of Winston-Salem
Closing date and time
8/23/2020 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (US & Canada)
The City of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a "Top 10 Digital City" and winner of numerous GFOA awards, operates under a Council-Manager form of government and is seeking a tech-savvy, customer-driven Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
to steward the finances of this AAA-rated organization.Guiding debt and investment management are key responsibilities of the CFO in a well-run, professional department with highly competent staff. Customer service is paramount and "own it" is the motto. This is not simply a job or a career move but a calling for someone who is passionate about public finance and the difference successful and innovative financial leadership can make in a community. The position is open due to retirement. About the Community
: Winston-Salem, often called the "City of Arts and Innovation", is the County seat of Forsyth County and the fifth-largest city in North Carolina . Forsyth County is the fourth largest county in the state. With a population of over 246,328, Winston-Salem is part of the Piedmont - Triad region that also includes Greensboro and High Point with a total population of over 1.6M. A city of dual histories, Salem was a Moravian community in the 1700's, and Winston was historically home to the RJ Reynolds Tobacco Company.
Winston-Salem is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse communities in North Carolina. Demographically, Winston-Salem's population is 45.9% White, 34.3% African American/Black, 14.9%, Hispanic/Latino, 2.24% Asian, and 2.66% Other. Community engagement is a value embodied in formal and informal ways having won national recognition as a Citizen-Engaged Community from the Public Technology Institute.
Winston-Salem has grown into a community marked by a strong economy based on health care, higher education, research, and service. The site of excellent higher education institutions such as Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State University, UNC School of the Arts, Salem College, Carolina University, and Forsyth Technical Community College; Winston-Salem is located within easy access to the beautiful mountains and the beaches of North Carolina.
Check out a video tour of this vibrant community: https://visitwinstonsalem.com/#/
Duties/Responsibilities About the Organization
: The City of Winston-Salem operates under a Council-Manager form of government. The City employs 2,425 full-time employees across 34 departments and has a total budget of $471M. The City is self-insured for health and worker's compensation insurance and operates two wholly-owned nonprofit subsidiaries to manage risk reserve and capital leasing. The CFO, who reports to the City Manager and interfaces frequently with the City Council, oversees a sophisticated and complex municipal finance department bonded debt of $800M, and cash and investments of $700M. The CFO also serves as the administrator of the pension fund. About the Position and Department:
The CFO leads a department with the divisions of financial reporting, payroll, treasury, purchasing, revenue, and risk management that are sustained with over 50 employees and a departmental budget or $7M. The CFO has responsibility for chairing the Investment Committee as well as the City's two subsidiaries: the Risk Acceptance Management Corporation and the NC Municipal Leasing Corporation, and oversees 12 external equity managers and eight external fixed income managers. More information about the department can be found here . Key priorities for the next CFO are:
- evaluating Finance Department structure in light of retirements, including the two assistant directors, and open positions, to ensure ongoing delivery of outstanding customer service;
- proactively managing cash balances and planning for requirements in response to COVID 19 impacts on revenue;
- issuing debt for 2021 anticipated water-sewer bond and managing debt on current capital projects;
- selecting and implementing an electronic payment system that is currently under consideration;
- capturing and preserving institutional knowledge to include succession planning; and,
- proactively working to maintain AAA bond ratings.
The successful candidate is:
- A minimum of a bachelor's degree in Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field is required, a master's degree in Finance-related field highly preferred.
- A minimum of 7-10 years of progressive experience in government financial administration including 3-5 years of supervisory experience is required.
- Local government experience is required.
- CPA and GFOA Certification are highly preferred but not required.
- an engaged collaborator with impeccable integrity who has experience in partnering with internal and external stakeholders to effectively manage financial resources in order to leverage financial opportunities and mitigate challenges;
- knowledgeable of general accounting principles (GASB, etc.), applicable laws, cash management, municipal bond financing, debt issuance, municipal purchasing, capital markets, investment management, purchasing, financial reporting, risk assessment, enterprise funds, and financial trends impacting similar-sized cities;
- a highly skilled negotiator;
- skilled in evaluating strategies for creating investment opportunities in areas lacking capital investment for a number of years;
- committed to transparency and clear communication of financial position to stakeholders;
- an excellent and effective communicator including one on one, small groups, and public speaking who makes complex financial topics understandable to citizens, staff, and Council members;
- a responsive, detailed and deadline-oriented professional who continuously monitors and engages in process improvement in a service-driven organization;
- savvy with information technology for financial systems and expert in Microsoft Office Suite;
- a creative thinker in assessing ways to increase revenue and manage expenses to meet the operational and capital needs of the City without simply proposing tax increases;
- experienced working in a council-manager form of government with skills in navigating the complexities of varying roles; (need for building relationships, educating Council, clear communication, maintaining trust);
- able to effectively manage, develop and engage staff to deliver excellent customer service through increased training, responsibility, productivity, morale, and retention;
- an advocate of best practices who can confidently and persuasively present options to the Management team and Council; and,
- successful in a culture of high-performance expectations and personal accountability with a track record of developing the same departmental standards as a highly accomplished financial professional.
Salary range and Application Process:
Compensation up to $154,067 is expected based on experience and qualifications. Information about benefits can be found on the City's website . There is a residency requirement for this position within six months of employment.
To apply, visit Client Openings (or copy and paste into your browser: https://developmentalassociates.com/client-openings/ ) , and click on Administrative Openings, then the Chief Financial Officer-Winston-Salem link. All applications must be fully completed and submitted online via the Developmental Associates application portal - NOT the City portal, nor any other external website; it is not sufficient to send only a resume. Resumes and cover letters can be uploaded with the application. Application review begins September 1, 2020. Finalists will participate in virtual interviews and skill assessments on September 22-23, 2020. This requires about four hours of time, not including preparation. Interviews with the Leadership team will follow at a subsequent time. All inquiries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org . Winston-Salem is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The recruitment and selection processes are being managed by Developmental Associates, LLC .