Job location: Winston Salem, NC Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
- Additional documentation must be added at the bottom of the third screen under the "My Experience."
- Internal candidates must apply via the internal career portal. Do not proceed with your application from this website.
- DO NOT complete the application without the required attachments as you will be unable to edit your application.
** Cover letter required for all positions and optional for facilities, campus services, and hospitality positions unless otherwise specified.
Job Description Summary
Monitors and operates utilities systems, boilers, chillers and auxiliary equipment. Provides customer service, as well as, general maintenance technician function off hours as staffing levels permit.
- Monitors and adjusts utility plant equipment (i.e. pumps, fans, dampers, motors, compressors, and burners) to ensure proper operation of all plant systems.
- Performs regular plant system and equipment checks; assembles accurate reports to document plant operation during assigned shift.
- Tests and monitors plant and campus water systems to detect abnormal conditions and corrects as necessary.
- Preforms preventive maintenance procedures to ensure that plant systems are in proper working condition at all times.
- Monitors campus utility systems and accurately log critical data, including, but not limited to: steam, chilled water, domestic water, electricity utilities.
- Serves as Campus Facilities Management Customer Service contact; accepts phone calls and dispatches work to staff during off-hours and as required.
- Acts as a first responder to campus needs, performs triage, and/or repairs issues and general maintenance duties on campus.
- Performs repair and replacement of plant equipment and general campus equipment, as needed.
Required Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- High school diploma of G.E.D with specialized training and five years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with operation and maintenance of steam systems or similar mechanical facilities systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain effective customer relations.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, the internet, and other relevant software.
- Ability to monitor and operate plant systems through use of computer software and other means and/or instrumentation.
- Ability to meet the requirements of the University's automobile insurance.
- Physical Requirements: heavy work; exerting up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 50 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Talking, hearing, climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping. Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as operations of machines, using measurement devices, and/or visual inspections of small parts or devices. Subject to both inside and outside environmental conditions. Subject to hazards.
Preferred Education, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Additional Job Description
- Technical training in the areas of steam and chilled water operations and production.
- Advanced computer software and skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Technical skills in the areas of HVAC, plumbing, electrical, carpentry and other maintenance related fields.
- NC Pool Operator certification.
- NC Backflow Preventer testing certification.
This is an off shift position, supporting 24/7 operation of our campus utility and maintenance systems at the Utilities Operations Center.See more here: https://facilities.wfu.edu/facilities-services/maintenance-utilities/utilities/
Time Type Requirement
Full timeNote to Applicant:
This position profile identifies the key responsibilities and expectations for performance. It cannot encompass all specific job tasks that an employee may be required to perform. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and perform job-related duties as may be reasonably assigned by his/her supervisor.
In order to provide a safe and productive learning and living community, Wake Forest University conducts background investigations and drug screens for all final staff candidates being considered for employment.
Wake Forest seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce while promoting an inclusive work environment committed to excellence in the spirit of Pro Humanitate. In adherence with applicable laws and as provided by University policies, the University prohibits discrimination in its employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, genetic information, disability and veteran status and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply.