The purpose of this position is to maintain and continuously improve FM Global's commitment to the safety and well being of our employees, the protection of our property, and our stewardship of the environment. In executing this commitment, FM Global is dedicated to ensuring compliance with all regulatory Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) requirements. This position, reporting to the EHS Manager, is responsible for carrying out these ideals and assist in ensuring compliance with applicable EHS permits, laws and regulations. This position includes support of R&D facilities in Norwood, MA and the FM Global Research Campus in West Glocester, RI. It requires the EHS Specialist to take a pro-active and hands-on approach.
The overall role of the Environmental Health and Safety Specialist (EHSS) is to:
1. Ensure site compliance with Federal, State and Local laws, regulations and ordinances.
2. Assist lab owners and management as needed to:
a. Maintain safe and consistent operations at all FM Global facilities.
b. Develop requested new guidelines for safe and compliant operations.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in environmental sciences, occupational health science or engineering curriculum with equivalent training.
Experience: Five + years' experience as an EHS specialist, preferably with experience supporting an industrial, research or consulting environment. Associate Safety Professional (ASP)/Certified Safety Professional (CSP) highly desirable.
Skills/knowledge: Broad knowledge of EHS federal and state (RI and MA) regulations and program development and implementation. This position requires:
1. Excellent writing and oral communications, research, training, and interpersonal skills,
2. A "hands-on" approach to regulatory compliance.
3. Strong analytical skills for determining appropriate advisories and actions.
4. Good computer skills, including MS Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint or other presentation software.