The Assistant Produce Manager is responsible to assist the Produce Manager by
providing direct supervision of the Produce department operations including providing
customer service and assuring that associates are following company policies and
procedures. He/she is also responsible for achieving production and budget objectives.
This position includes performing stocking duties as needed. He/she must have excellent
customer service skills, as he/she is the role model for other associates.
· This position reports to: Produce Manager
· Positions that report directly to this position: Produce clerks, Salad Bar clerks, Floral
clerks, and any other clerk working in the Produce Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Assist Department Manager in all aspects of the operation and supervision of the
Department including, but not limited to: supervision of Department personnel; providing
customer service; achieving sales, gross profit, labor, shrink and inventory goals set for
the Department; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization,
pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
· Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to
on a regular basis.
· Perform job functions of other Department personnel in their absence and/or in addition
· In the absence of the Department Manager, the Assistant Department Manager is in
charge of the Department and performs the management functions of the Department.
· Effectively supervise 2 to 20 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment
and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
· Operate various store computer systems.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
· Assist the Department Manager in conducting periodic reviews of work practices and
providing information to Store Management.
· Assist the Department Manager in achieving other objectives including, but not limited to
food safety, workplace safety, and company audits.
· Other duties as assigned by Store Management.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
· Assistant Department Managers assign, review, and approve work of all clerks under
their direct supervision.
· Assistant Department Managers must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be
completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
· Assistant Department Managers determine appropriate staffing levels for each shift based
on business needs.
· The Assistant Department Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
· Make recommendations on staffing the Department; interview and recommend hiring of
· Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department personnel;
· Assist the Department Manager in completing performance appraisals on all Department
· Recommend discipline up to and including termination; to impose immediate suspension
of Department personnel, subject to approval of the Department or Store Manager;
· Schedule work hours and time off for Department personnel;
· Authorize and assign overtime;
· Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
· Responsible for the supervision of the entire department in the absence of or in addition
to the Department Manager.
· Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Manager and Department
· Responsible to know, understand, and support department specific policies and
· Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
· Assistant Department Managers must take action on unsafe working conditions when
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
· Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
o Store Management
o Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
· Must be at least 18 years old.
· Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
· Problem solving ability.
· Some on the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
· Leadership qualities including, but not limited to: good listening skills; the ability to
motivate others; respect for and tolerance of others; the ability to communicate pleasantly
and effectively with customers, vendors, Store Management, other Store and Company
· Thorough understanding of Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
· Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in
the course of performing the work of the Department
· Excellent customer service skills.
· Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of
· High school diploma or better.
· Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
· Assistant Department Managers usually work 40 hours a week.
· Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
· Freezer conditions are generally very cold.
· Cooler conditions are generally cold.
· Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
· Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
· A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
· Associates in the Produce Department are usually scheduled according to peak customer
· This position is a full time position.
· This is a supervisory position and subject to transfer to other locations.
· Food safety awareness is required in this position.
· It is important to understand that all Assistant Department Managers must have the
ability to deal with, and resolve, some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied
customers, associate issues, or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and
responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time
the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above.
This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its
representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s