Employers Facing Hiring Challenges This Holiday Season
82 percent of hourly employers expect to face challenges filling holiday positions this year, according to the latest data released from Snagajob, America’s largest marketplace for hourly work. With the national unemployment rate down to four percent and eCommerce for consumers up six percent, employers are having an increasingly hard time finding and keeping qualified workers.
Snagajob’s annual Holiday Hiring report found that the top hiring challenges employers expect to face this holiday season include a lack of qualified workers (44 percent), a lack of available workers (34 percent) and increasing competition with other employers (30 percent).
Additional key findings include:
- An increase in the average expected wages per hour year-over-year with the retail industry jumping 43 percent ($13.90 average), restaurant industry jumping 14 percent ($10.60 average) and hospitality jumping 5 percent ($11.50 average).
- An increase in the expected average hours employers plan to offer seasonal employees from 23 per week in 2015 to 27 per week this year.
- The majority of surveyed employers (55 percent) plan on filling all positions by October.
- The majority of surveyed employers plan on rehiring employees that they worked with last holiday season.
- 86 percent of surveyed employers believe it’s likely that temporary holiday workers will become permanent employees.
- 91 percent of employers are willing to use a mobile app to help them with the hiring process; this is up seven percent from 2014.
- Talent assessment usage among employers is up 25 percent from last year.
- 42% of employers plan on recruiting employees via social media channels, which remains unchanged from 2015. Facebook is still the top social platform hourly employers use to recruit.
These findings and more trends are included in the full 2016 Holiday Hiring report which was commissioned by PEOPLElytics, the data pulled from Snagajob’s marketplace of over 70 million hourly workers and over 300,000 hourly employers. More than a thousand hourly employers in the restaurant, retail and hospitality industries participated in the survey.
With more than 70 million registered hourly workers and 300,000 customer locations, Snagajob is America’s #1 hourly marketplace, creating instant, quality connections so that a job can be secured in minutes. Since 2000, our mission has been to put people in right fit-positions so they can maximize their potential and live more fulfilling lives. Our marketplace is fueled by our network of hourly workers and our end-to-end platform of talent and workforce management solutions for employers —PeopleMatter. Our mobile and on-demand sourcing, hiring, training, scheduling, and performance management tools drive results for single-location operators to Fortune 500 businesses with thousands of locations, across restaurant, retail, hospitality and other hourly industries. To learn more, visit us at snagajob.com and @Snagajob.