PURPOSE OF POSITION:
- The Produce Manager is responsible for the direct supervision of the Produce and Floral department operations including providing customer service and assuring that associates are following company policies and procedures. He/she is also responsible for achieving production and budget objectives. This position includes performing stocking duties as needed. He/she must have excellent customer service skills, as he/she is the role model for other associates.
- This position reports to: Store Manager, Assistant Store Manager.
- Positions that report directly to this position: Assistant Produce Manager, Produce clerks, Salad Bar clerks, Floral clerks, and any other clerk working in the Produce Department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage and accountable for all aspects of the operation and supervision of the
Department including, but not limited to: supervision of Department personnel; providing customer service; achieving sales, gross profit, labor, shrink and inventory goals set for the Department; product ordering, quality, presentation, merchandising, organization, pricing, stocking, shelf allocation, staffing, training, turnover and morale.
- Assure that all Company and Department specific policies and procedures are adhered to on a regular basis.
- Perform job functions of other Department personnel in their absence and/or in addition to them.
- In the absence of the Store Manager, Assistant Manager and Evening Manager, the Department Manager may be in charge of the store.
- Effectively supervise 2 to 20 associates in a fast paced and multi functional environment and take appropriate disciplinary action when necessary.
- Operate various store computer systems.
- Must be available to work 40 hours per week at peak business times.
ADDITIONAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct periodic reviews of work practices and provide information to Store Management.
- Achieve other objectives including, but not limited to food safety, workplace safety, and company audits.
- Other duties as assigned by Store Management.
ASSIGNMENT, REVIEW, AND APPROVAL OF WORK:
- Department Managers assign, review, and approve work of all clerks under his/her direct supervision.
- Department Managers must take the initiative to foresee work that needs to be completed and see to it that it is completed in a timely fashion.
- Department Managers determine appropriate staffing levels for each shift based on business needs.
- The Department Manager generally prepares work schedules on a weekly basis.
RESPONSIBILITY AND DECISION MAKING AUTHORITY:
- Make recommendations on staffing the Department; interviewing and hiring of Department personnel; and promotion of associates;
- Assign work to, direct the work of and train Department personnel;
- Complete performance appraisals on all Department personnel;
- Impose discipline and recommend termination;
- Schedule work hours and time off for Department personnel;
- Authorize and assign overtime;
- Accept valid excuses for absences, tardiness or leaving early.
- Responsible for the supervision of the entire department.
- Responsible for achieving goals established by the Store Manager.
- Responsible to know, understand, and support department specific policies and procedures.
- Ensure that associates perform their work in a safe and ergonomically correct manner.
- Department Managers must take action on unsafe working conditions when appropriate.
RELATIONS WITH OTHERS:
- Must be able to relate to the following in a courteous and professional manner:
- Customers o Supervisors o Subordinates o Co-workers o Store Management o Vendors
- Other people with whom they have contact while on duty
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND REQUIRED:
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Problem solving ability.
- Experience as an Assistant Department Manager or equivalent.
- Some on the job training is provided.
KNOWLEDGE AND BACKGROUND DESIRED:
- Leadership qualities including, but not limited to: good listening skills; the ability to motivate others; respect for and tolerance of others; the ability to communicate pleasantly and effectively with customers, vendors, Store Management, other Store and Company personnel;
- Thorough understanding of Company and Department specific policies and procedures.
- Good judgment, the ability to make sound decisions and to solve any problems arising in the course of performing the work of the Department
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to understand customers needs and ask questions to expedite the handling of requests.
- High school diploma or better.
- Stores are usually open 7 days a week.
- Department Managers usually work 40 hours a week.
- Retail store conditions are generally dry with moderate temperature.
- Freezer conditions are generally very cold.
- Cooler conditions are generally cold.
- Requires the performance of repetitive tasks.
- Exterior conditions vary with the seasons and may be wet or dry, warm or cold.
- A hair restraint must be worn at all times.
- Associates in the Produce Department are usually scheduled according to peak customer times.
- This position is a full time position.
- This is a supervisory position and subject to transfer to other locations.
- Food safety awareness is required in this position.
- It is important to understand that all Department Managers must have the ability to deal with, and resolve, some potentially difficult situations (such as dissatisfied customers, associate issues, or emergencies) to perform this position in a satisfactory manner.
This position and job description are subject to change, with or without notice. The inclusion of specific duties and responsibilities in this job description is not intended to exclude other duties and responsibilities: From time to time the associate may be assigned duties and/or responsibilities in addition to or different than those set forth above. This job description, alone or considered together with other written or verbal statements of the Company or its representatives, is not a contract of employment, nor does it change the at-will status of any associate of Shaw’s Supermarkets, Inc.
Posting ID: 72051104Posted: 2019-10-11