5 tips for last-minute holiday hiring in December
It’s no secret that even the best-laid plans can go awry.
A case in point is your holiday hiring.
While in theory, you may have an entire staff lined up for the seasonal surge. However, the reality is that with sicknesses, unplanned vacation days, more traffic than you planned, and the like, you could be down a person or two. Or more.
But this doesn’t mean you have to turn customers away, nor give them service that’s not likely to win them over when considering future shopping.
Yes, you can still find hourly workers eager to pick up hours during the holidays. In fact, our recent Holiday Hiring Report shows that 57% of hourly workers are looking for work (many of whom haven’t yet zeroed in on the right opportunity for them). Plus among those who have, 35% who are already working are looking for a second job to help pay the bills and fund their holiday spending (also note that 19% report they’re not getting enough hours at their current jobs, which means they have more than enough free time for you open roles).
So what can you do to find and hire these workers ASAP? Here are some tips.
1. For fast responses, make sure your job post speaks to what job seekers are looking for this holiday. You’ll find timely recommendations here that can earn you 200% more applicants, in less time.
2. Understand pay expectations within your job category. Money is the top motivator, so see what hourly workers are looking to earn in each line of work.
3. Offer flexibility (which goes beyond just a flexible work schedule). Check out ways to offer flexibility that won’t break the bank or cause undue complications.
4. Expand your hiring pool to teenagers and Generation Z workers. A quick look at the changing face of today’s workers shows that your best bet for hourly staffing is today’s eager-to-work youth market. Especially students during their holiday break.
5. Consider hiring true “gig” workers for one-off shifts. With Shifts by Snagajob you simply post a shift, and our vetted workers claim them. We also handle their payment.
For more recommendations on JIT seasonal staffing, check out our full Holiday Hiring report.